Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1953 D Cent RPM-001 FS-501

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,728Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
1899 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  1:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this in a little 3 pound bag of 40s and 50s I went through. Looks like rpm 001 to me
http://www.varietyvista.com/02a%20L...3DRPM001.htm

Took a few more pics

Edited by Mrzllewellyn
06/07/2018 2:08 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find and congratulations! It's RPM-001 on coppercoins.com. http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/...ie_state=mds
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45090 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK class. This is a RPM, why how could you prove that it is not Machine Doubling?
Nice find. Just helping others here to think a bit:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because there's another mint mark punched into the die. There's no reduction of the devices. You can see the outline of another D mint mark. Also, it's listed on coppercoins.com as 1MM-001. All of these coins struck with this RPM will all exhibit the same exact Repunched Mint Mark. Just my guess.
Edited by Errers and Varietys
06/07/2018 2:13 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45090 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All good points. Also throw in that it is listed and each coin is the same. But something else a bit higher up?

Here is a clue:

Last image.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Edited by coop
06/07/2018 2:12 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing that Coop. That's a good example of a Doubled Die Obverse. And yes, you're correct. Machine Doubling can also happen on a real Doubled Die.
Edited by Errers and Varietys
06/07/2018 2:15 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45090 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But that wasn't the point. It is the opposite? Think a bit more.
Richard S. Cooper

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't really know Coop. I'll have to think about this more clearly and deeply.
Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pound_foolish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Separation of serifs. I know this is my first post, but you guys and gals have given me LOTS of info while I've lurked over the years.

Keen find, that RPM.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF pound_foolish! It's great to have you here and I'll look forward to your future participation! I'm glad you have lurked here for a long time.
Learn More...
United States
87597 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Separation of serifs. I know this is my first post, but you guys and gals have given me LOTS of info while I've lurked over the years.
to the Community!
Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pound_foolish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you kidding me? Thank YOU! Not to take away from the OP, but I've just gone through hundreds of what I *thought* were just circulated wheats (that I've had for quite some time, having picked out semi-keys for my own album, and then looking for DDOs) and found easily a dozen RPMs. Among them the venerable 1927 D/D, 1936 D/D, two 1930 S/S, a spiffy 1912 S/S, 1934 D/D, and at least 2 varieties of 1953 D/D. I'll gladly start a thread of my own and show them off shortly.

My goodness, to think the average person regards them as just "old pennies" makes my heart skip a beat.

Marty
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45090 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I got busy. Next clues....

Someone going to figure this out.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
1899 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop you trying to say we know it's not MD because the date is not effected?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5111 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
OK class. This is a RPM, why how could you prove that it is not Machine Doubling?

The position of the MM is a match.
Edited by Chase007
06/07/2018 8:24 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45090 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2018  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ding, Ding. We have a winner. Most of the time when you look at machine doubled examples, were are looking at the date and the mint mark area. Most of the time, the MD and the mint mark are equally affected the same. With this coin, the RPM does look like MD. But it is not and the date unaffected proves it is not Machine Doubling. (along with the fact if is a known RPM. Nut again the correct shape of the RPM proves it is also from a mint mark punch. The coins above area 1963-D Dime and Quarters. There was a lot of MD that year also. But I'm still working on something else to look for on MD or RPM mint marks. Be back soon.

I know this look basic, but a lesson is here. Note the MD causes the metal to move around on the mint mark. Distorts it. But note the one that is a RPM. The metal is not pushed around on RPMs Why? Because the metal on the die contains the mint mark shape (excluding die wear), because the RPM is on the die. It makes it the same shape each strike. MD will vary in shape.
CoopHome RPM vs MD
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
06/07/2018 11:37 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,728Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05