Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is Coinstar no longer in Canada?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2018  10:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rusty_f to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hope someone has some insight on this. I live in north Saskatoon, and used to have 3 Coinstar machines in my neighbourhood. Over the past year they have all been taken out; the last one disappearing about a month and a half ago. Now their Canadian website seems to have vanished as well. Have they ceased operations in Canada, or are there still machines elsewhere?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1018 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2018  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M_d_in_guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In Smiths Falls Ontario at the Independant Grocer there is one still operational.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. "Einstein"
Valued Member
Canada
168 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2018  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twoods to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Rusty F,

These machines are harder to find and have been pulled out of use in a lot of places in Canada...there was a class action lawsuit brought for people who used the machines from 2013 - 2016 citing inaccuracies in the machines that were short-changing customers...if you Google the topic there is an article about TD removing the machines from their branches...hopefully this info helps...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
528 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, there are a few around in grocery stores.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
507 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think many members would use these machines. Personally, doing it by hand works for me. Then you don't have the feeling of did the count match the deposit,or have to pay any fee's. They are fun to check out for rejects though. I only have one locally, and it may be gone. Haven't been to that store in a while. I'll see though. The coinstar thread on here is a blast. What people leave behind is crazy, but, free pickin's for us. Never found a thing in that machine by the way. .
Valued Member
Canada
143 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Awesome Guys Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My local food basics has one.
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2018  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Long story short: I have about CAD$500 in loose change - I darn well hope there are still some Coinstar machines left up there. I plan on dumping the change on my next trip up north. Google says there are a few Coinstar machines left in Montreal. Can anyone confirm?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
646 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2018  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if there're any in Montreal but they're easily found in the GTA east of Toronto ( Pickering, Ajax, Whitby or Oshawa ) in grocery stores.

Cheers, Bill
Valued Member
Canada
173 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2018  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to the Coinstar website there are a handful of them scattered around Montreal.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1497 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2018  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jeff Buckes: I am not sure that coinstar will accept cents any more. Some banks still take them but if you are not a client getting rid of them may be tricky.
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2018  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the tips.

I'd be surprised if Canadian Coinstar won't take the cents - I thought that was the first phase in collecting and smelting all the coins for their Alloy Recovery Program. Or maybe I'm just behind the curve as always.

Anyway, I think I'll sort the cents and roll the coppers. Another member suggested selling rolls of them (copper cents, not members) on ebay (just like we do with wheats in the US). I can do the same with the nickels - I have hundreds of those - so I bet I have enough older nickels for a roll or two. We usually only get 2x face on common wheats so I know I won't make a fortune - but at least these beautiful coins won't go to the furnace.

And I can spend the newer cents here in the US. That's how I got them in the first place - just years of digging through my pocket change! You should see my pile of one-cent coins from Barbados, Malaysia, Trinidad and Tobago, etc. All close enough to resemble the US cent.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05