Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has anyone mailed a coin(s) to Spain? HELP!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
38 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  1:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have tried to send a coin to a buyer in Madrid, Spain using UPS and DHL.

DHL sent it back - they will not deal with currency or coins - ANY coins.

I further found that sending currency or coins to Spain is prohibited.

If you have done so, please tell me how you pulled it off.
BTW, insurance is a further problem as the coin is valued in excess of $1,000.00

PLEASE HELP! I'm at my wit's end (and so is my buyer).
Thanks,
Fred P.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10982 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
USPS small flat rate international box.

Coins and currency are only prohibited in the sense of sending cash, numismatic items aren't.
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree 100% with basebal21.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4106 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I frequently exchange coins with a Spanish collector - I just wrap them in corrugated cardboard and put them in the normal post. Mind you, I'm based in England. But I've been swapping coins with Javier in Santander regularly since 1982 and none of my coins has ever got lost in the post!
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, guys. I will give USPS a try. Wish me luck. Many shipping employees say "no". I believe they just do not know any better.
Fred
Pillar of the Community
United States
3604 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the Customs Form call the item a "Numismatic Collectible".
DON'T call it a coin. Or money. Or currency.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3571 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've sent them as 'decorative planchets', as well.

But that's a whole other thread, by itself.
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can purchase insurance from insurepost.com at $1.60 per $100. You must note the insured item as "collectible coin" on the form at insurepost. On the customs form, make it clear that the contents are a numismatic collectible not simply "coins" (i.e. cash money). Governments are worried about money launderers, not coin collectors. One caution, never misrepresent the contents or their value on the customs form (it's a felony).
Edited by Kushanshah
06/12/2018 2:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5188 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To send to Spain better write : Numismatic sample
Para enviar a España mejor escribir: muestra numismática.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05