Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1978 Canada 1 Cent DDO and Die Chip. Pleas helps to ID  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  3:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bate to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
DD on "REG" and the "Dot" Die Chip on her Eye. Look like I got luck with Canadian coin than US coins. I got these Canada coins out of Pennies BRs and 10 out of 10000 I got Canadian coin DDO.

She cries when she sees her name DD

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6259 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope. Looks like Machine Doubling, since you can see the reduction of the devices and it's shelflike in appearance.
Errors And Varietys.
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your answer this time is not convincing me "E n V" It is not shelflike look at the diviced at the notches and how rounded the dd on the dot. Give me something else more concrete. Those letters very thin so the DD is clearly separated at the notches.
Valued Member
Canada
54 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roro57 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The die chip at the edge of the eye and possibly at the edge of the mouth are nice finds, you can see on Coinsandcanada.com site (Hope this is ok) that the years 1978 and 1979 are well known for double dates not Doubled Dies but I think they are just DDD or MD. I think you might see this in other areas on the coin. They are still collectible but many only collect higher grades. If I am wrong on any point my apologies.
Valued Member
Canada
430 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Optimist-numismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't look like hub doubling to me. It probably is Jud MD, if you think MD is common on Lincoln cents, Canadian cents will maybe give them a run for their money.

1960s and 1970s Canada cents are notorious for MD and die shifts.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7017 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No DDO but cool looking die chip at the eye.
Learn More...
Canada
7866 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The R or REGINA is most intriguing, but the photos need to be magnified to come to any conclusion....

The 1977-1979 Canadian 1-cent coins are notorious for die deterioration doubling and over polishing of the dies... without better photos, I cannot confirm if it is a doubled die.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This pic is the best I could get SPP-Ottawa

Pillar of the Community
United States
1946 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice close-up shot!

It looks like MD to me.
Learning one coin at a time.
ANA Member #3185431
Pillar of the Community
United States
2487 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add uruman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it's md to me too
Learn More...
Canada
7866 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I vote for severe die deterioration doubling... the doubled elements are enlarged... if it was Machine Doubling (MD) then I might expect to see the beads doubled as well.

However, I digress, I would need to see a mint state example, to be sure...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the between the beads look like the old line there..the bump shadow is there between the new beads
Pillar of the Community
United States
1873 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like die deterioration to me. The "relief varies as to which direction .. if it was machine they would mostly be the same. Definitely not DDO'
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just found this from Mr.COOP. I think this 1978 Canada cent is fall into this catergory " Flat Doubling"

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2342 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope. Flat field doubling happens on coins that are struck twice, and for some reason, also on nickel dollars. What I see here (and has been mentioned to you by SPP, the expert on errors) is die deterioration doubling. Enlarged doubling in an outward direction is a tell-tale sign.
Toronto Coin Club www.torontocoinclub.ca
Office of the Secretary
Meetings 3rd Mondays at 7 PM
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your reply Altaira...
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05