Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1996 D Jefferson Nickel Improperly Annealed Planchet Sintered?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vietguy823 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,
Can any of you out there help me look at this Nickel? Was it an Improperly Annealed Planchet? It is some sort of Copper (Brown) color. Thanks for all your time.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10091 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like it. Nice find!
Errors and Varietys, the CCF 911 responder and helper. ;-)
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vietguy823 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks E&R. I heard that you can easily fake it by put it into the oven and heat it up.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10091 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks E&R. I heard that you can easily fake it by put it into the oven and heat it up.

You're very welcome and thank you for sharing it! I didn't know that you could fake it in the oven. That's a new fact that I learned today on CCF! Here's a link to Improper Annealing. http://www.error-ref.com/improper-annealing/
Errors and Varietys, the CCF 911 responder and helper. ;-)
Edited by Errors and Varietys
06/13/2018 4:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9256 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is just stained. Notice the lighter areas inside and around the letters. Annealing changes ALL the metal evenly. Even in an oven and a garage tempering with torch and bucket of water. Not an error, environmental damaged.

For more reference to dark coins, and sintered planchets you may find these topics interesting:

http://goccf.com/t/317011
http://goccf.com/t/288744&whichpage=1

Edited by Crazyb0
06/13/2018 4:58 pm
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vietguy823 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Crazyb0! I had this in my collection since 1999 in a plastic holder and assumed it was the error, but not too sure yet that is why I need all of you guys opinion. But,since you said that I have to take a look closer at it again once I get home today.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7829 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with @crazyb0 on this one--looks to me like chemical exposure or environmental toning rather than a mint error.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vietguy823 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence. I will take a closer look at it later on today. Will take couple of pictures if I find any new info.
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vietguy823 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi! Guys, As I looking into it a little further, most of the edge is still shiny like a normal Nickel and a few spot got that bit of color. I also asked about this elsewhere and most of them are agreed with "Mint Error".
Pillar of the Community
United States
1684 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As it retains much of its original mint luster, I'm inclined to agree with the improper annealing diagnosis.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vietguy823 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much Mike Diamond for the responded. The color really look natural to me when I hold it in hand. It doesn't look like someone try to altered it, ED, or some high school experimental project. Also, thanks Mod for helping me edit the post.
Pillar of the Community
United States
939 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coppergold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike diamond is who you should listen too with this one. Mike diamond is what you would call an expert and very well known within the Coin World. If you see him attack something, you listen.
Edited by Coppergold
06/14/2018 5:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
939 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coppergold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.error-ref.com/ Just in case you dont believe me, check out the senior editors/authors name! ;)
Edited by Coppergold
06/14/2018 6:08 pm
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vietguy823 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coppergold! I do aware of that, and have much of respect for Mike, as well as for every one here. As, I still in a learning process, and try to digest and absorb all this gigantic info in the Errors and Varieties hobby. Please, pardon me for any curious that I may have. As far as I know learning is questioning.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8457 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe it's an improperly annealed planchet .
Looks like environmental toning .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05