Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944-P Nickel (Magnetic)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,674Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
393 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  02:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, everyone! A 1944-P Nickel got attracted to my magnet. Is this nickel a real coin?
This coin has seen years of "experience" in its belt.
The pics are not of good quality.

Thanks...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1899 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  02:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've heard of them being struck on steel cent planchets before but I think it would look different
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's looks like it's was plated with something magnetic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1899 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  02:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking that to E&V
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  02:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks shiny on your angled shot. If it is, its plated, should be dull by wear factor. Raw nickel plate is magnetic...how strong attraction, solid equals steel, slight equal nickel or stainless steel type electroplate.
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  02:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How will I know if it's plated? Is it worth to send to a third grading company? The coin weighs 4.92 gms.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17861 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  03:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What sort of magnet is it?
A neodymium magnet would be capable of attracting ordinary copper-nickel Nickels.
Edited by sel_69l
06/14/2018 03:08 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9275 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the gloves!
but
Seriously, interesting to know what you have there. The edge in that one image looks mighty reflective. I vote for plated too.
Never heard of a neodymium magnet. Ya learn something new every day.
Edited by TNG
06/14/2018 09:44 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47736 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might be a Henning nickel? Let's look at the coin closer?
http://www.error-ref.com/henning-co...feit-nickel/
http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v18n16a19.html
http://www.numismaticenquirer.com/T...0Nickel.html

Again it may not be one? Just a thought that zipped between my ears.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
06/14/2018 11:02 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17153 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A neodymium magnet would be capable of attracting ordinary copper-nickel Nickels.

No it can't. And besides a 1944 P nickel wouldn't be an ordinary copper-nickel five cent piece.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
06/14/2018 10:50 am
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No not a Henning, has large Mintmark!...plated, look at the reflective "black" in OPs pix!
Edited by Crazyb0
06/14/2018 11:04 am
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are industrial nitrite gloves which I use in tinkering with my car. I bought those at home depot. According to the seller, it is a neodymium magnet. I tried using the magnet on the nickels of various years that I have but these did not stick. I might have weak neodymium magnet. Thanks for the Henning articles sites, Coop. I went back to recheck magnetizing the nickels & I found a 1943-P, shinier than the 1944-P. I will take pictures & make another post. Thank you all. Your responses are well appreciated.
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Crazyb0. Your mind is sharp or sharper or at its sharpest? Appreciate all your comments.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,674Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05