Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New to collecting Canadian Cents  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community

United States
16673 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  08:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Some time ago I started a Canadian Penny (Cent) collection although I’m in the USA. Over the years I filled 4 plastic tubes with them from either change of asking for them at banks. Finally I recently purchased an Album for them and was given another one by a dealer at a coin show. I downloaded some information as to dates and different prices based on grade. However, I now ruin into a problem with identification with some of the dates. For example for 1965 and 1985 My price guide and in the Albums it states some have small Beads and some have large Beads. What Beads are they referring to?
I’ve asked dealers at coin shows and no one appears to know anything about Canadian coins. Nor do they carry them or want to.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3375 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This site can explain it better than I could,

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins...nt-1965-1989
Please feel free to view my Gallery
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10523
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7147 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  09:37 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It always struck me that the Canadian coin collectors get into some very intricate detail differences on what dies were used and many of those varieties are included in price guides and checklists. I never got too involved in that but do have some of the more popular varieties included in my Canada cent set I have put together.

There's nothing wrong with that, with the link mcshilling provided, you can double check your collection for varieties and if you have something different than the next, add a spot in your collection for it.
http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php will take you to all the Canada cents.
It gets pretty crazy for magnetics, with P, without P with logo in the more recent dates.

You can get into it as far as you like or just do a date set. It is like any other collecting goal, set your own goal and consider it your set.

I think the only one I wanted and did not fork out considerable money for and still don't have is a 2006 magnetic no p - no logo cent. I did not collect the proofs in my set. I only collected non proofs, some specimen, some special ones only found in some mint sets, and circulation issues.
W.A.N.S. Pennsylvania - 45th Williamsport Area Numismatic Society Coin Show ~ July 28 2018
ALWAYS A great coin show & getting better every year! ANACS will be there for submissions - SEE YOU THERE!
More information http://goccf.com/t/312115
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16673 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks mcshilling, however that is only a list similar to what I've already downloaded. It only states small and large beads. I still have no idea what is ment by BEADS. What are they? Where are they? What is the differences in small and large?
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1932 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The beads are the round, raised "dots" just inside the edge of the coin. They differ from "denticles", which are in the same location (sometimes Obverse, sometimes Reverse) but elongated raised marks, like a linear, fat top of an exclamation point! Get used to counting beads that may delineate different varieties and know how many that there are supposed to be for each denomination/date/monarch and font or die changes.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1210 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just carl, if you go to and use the site provided find the year 1965 push on that year and all the information that you are looking for will show up
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16673 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
just carl, if you go to and use the site provided find the year 1965 push on that year and all the information that you are looking for will show up

Thanks. I just did that and yes it does sort of explain the differences. Clearly between a blunt 5 and a pointed 5. However, those beads look the same to me in all their photos. I think I'll just put a coin in the slot for those and tell myself it is either small or large beads and let it go at that. Only need 9 more coins to fill the Album. Thanks again for all the help.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1359 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
post a pic we can help
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1359 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
on the coins and canada site when you click on 1965 scroll down to the pics you see where the A is pointing almost to the center of the "small bead" where as the large beads the A points to the side? that may help
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16673 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
on the coins and canada site when you click on 1965 scroll down to the pics you see where the A is pointing almost to the center of the "small bead" where as the large beads the A points to the side? that may help

AAAHHHHHHHHHH, yes it does. I finally get it. I spent way to much time trying to figure it all out and from what I see in the price guides, I'm really wasting my time. Sure don't know why Canadian Cents are valued so low. I do sort of like them but think I'll stick to USA coins.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
587 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just Carl, If you want to send me a list of what you need I maybe able to help you. I have extras from the 20’S—60’S.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16673 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just Carl, If you want to send me a list of what you need I maybe able to help you. I have extras from the 20’S—60’S.

Thank you so much however, it would cost more in postage than the coins are worth. Again, thanks to all the Canadians that helped my figure out those Beads and pointed 5's.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
587 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carl I am in the U.S.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05