Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1899 Morgan Inherited

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  3:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MrsFranklin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello - I posted on another topic that I'm new to all this. I recently inherited the remainder of my Dad's coins when he passed in November.

I'm quickly becoming a fan of the Morgan dollar. We have a few. I attached a photo of the prettiest. What is the best online resource to find the value of the coin? I've been checking on Coin Trackers and I do have a reputable coin dealer in my area. I just want to maximize the value on anything we decide to sell.

I'm confused on what VAM's are?

Thank you.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2212 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin.
Too bad it is the New Orleans mint. The Philly mint of 1899 is a semi-key.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6961 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of marks for a 64. I'll say nice solid MS63 - Higher mintage Morgan - about $50?
Completed the Dansco 8166 Album
(1964-2011) Kennedy half w/Proofs on Dec 3rd.

Now working on the Dansco 8167 Album
(2012-Date) Kennedy half w/Proofs.
23pcs, of 28, so far

Learn More...
United States
63364 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nice 63 grade I would say.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1171 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30182 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd agree with 63 - nice coin.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Check HoboNickelCarver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add HoboNickelCarver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very Nice!

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrsFranklin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your input. I've noted the grading you all gave it :-)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1522 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the family, sorry for your loss

Once I learned of the Morgan I fell in love.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7309 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To further clarify about what VAMs are... most everything in the link above is correct, (except the statement that the VAM book has not been updated since 1992, the fact is there are annual published supplement updates available listing any new VAMs identified throughout the year) Also it may help to know there are separate VAM listings for Peace dollars and Morgan dollars, (there is no correlation between the numbering between the two)

By definition, EVERY Peace dollar and Every Morgan dollar IS a VAM since the VAM number designates the variety of the die which strikes the coin... it just so happens there were so many different dies and combinations used there are still newly discovered VAMs each year... For the most part what makes a VAM valuable is the rarity of a particular die... some dies had very short lives (damaged or broken) and removed from use, other dies were "manipulated" by mint workers causing interesting variations, as in the case of a series of Morgan dollars from San Francisco in 1878 known as "Funky Feathers" and "Spaghetti Wings" and yet other dies may have clashed together (a strike where there is no blank between the dies) and caused letter transfers that were rather quickly polished off the die... Some of those letter transfer coins can be rare as well ( ex. 1887P VAM 1-B). all in all I have found VAMs to be very interesting (and addictive)...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05