Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do you like steel cents?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4545 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like them when they look like they were just minted...

Nice ones
Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like them when they look like they were just minted......
Very nice examples!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6458 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice ones

Quote:
Very nice examples!

Thanks -
Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few days of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11959 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love Steel Cents! Although, I really hate the replated ones as it's considered an altered coin. The original, not replated ones are the best.
Errers and Varietys
Pillar of the Community
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like them when they look like they were just minted......

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6458 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I really hate the replated ones as it's considered an altered coin.

Right, like the polished or plated ones that are used in jewellery. But that said, when I find the really rusty/crappy ones I just throw them in the common Wheat cent jar. When I find a better example of an original one I pile them up till I can grade them and put into 2X2's. The plated ones I immediately put in 2x2's and designate them as such.

Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few days of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6458 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note to self : "Send Tom a roll of paper towels" - LOL!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note to self: "Remind Mark to sent me slab #2711.66/82151565"
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2018  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Centsei to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love a nice 66 or 67. They are fascinating.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1351 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to like them, simply due to the novelty. But they're not rare or anything, so it's difficult to develop a real affinity for them. Plus, my local dealer sold me a roll one time and about 1/3 of the cents were badly corroded. They literally looked like puke. Blechh!
Edited by jpsned
07/01/2018 6:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6458 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
my local dealer sold me a roll one time and about 1/3 of the cents were badly corroded.

Yes, steel cents are on the beauty curve with the Zincolns. Although Zincers win. Having a set of Ms66's is affordable as they are around 45/50$ per slabbed coin - as compared to the MS67's that usually go over 100$ a pop!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1154 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the mint also used the smell cent planchets for some foreign coins. The Belgium 2 Franc coin comes to mind.

KK
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ThreeLui to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
BTW: Could you please show us a picture of that entire slab?

sure

Edited by ThreeLui
07/08/2018 10:42 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14465 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do like them in top condition, they're silvery looking !
Pillar of the Community
United States
3777 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always liked them!

I've bought bags of them over the years and pull out the nicest ones with nice, original surfaces. The worn ones, along with the rusty and reprocessed ones, get rolled up and sent off to the wholesalers.

I've got a pretty good stash! It's amazing what some dealers toss into their "junk" bins!

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05