Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Fifth Edition!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 326
Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  06:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice 4 groat coin. I have a 1 groat for today, Tykocin mint:

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2855 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
16th century
Duchy of Brabant
1/5 Philips daalder (15) 66
ruler: Philips II (1555-1598)
mint: Antwerp (1562-1593)
Literature: Van Gelder / Hoc 212-1
DOMINUS MIHI ADIUTOR: the lord is my helper
PHS.D.G.HISP.<s>Z</s>.REX.DUX.BR.
PHILIPPUS DEI GRATIA HISPANIARUM <s>Z</s> REX DUX BARBANTIA
Philips II, by the grace of God, king of Spain, duke of Brabant

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6210 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1566 -- Grand Duchy of Lithuania, 2 denars:

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2780 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The below is perhaps, by some standards, a nice coin - but with it comes one of my biggest "the one that got away" stories.

...It happened one day, many years ago, that as I was finishing my coin-shopping trip to the Izmaylovo Vernisage, I came across a bin full of unfamiliar old-looking coins, all of the same type.

Some of them were significantly chipped, and some were intact; the seller told me that the chipped ones were 150 rubles per coin, and the intact ones 250 rubles.
(I could not give you the dollar amounts, as I no longer recall which year it was. But either amount was definitely well below $10.)

As the trip was almost finished, I had almost ran out of money. I do not recall, now, whether I had just enough, or not quite enough, money to get an intact piece.
I do recall that I ended up buying the cheaper chipped one.

...When I got home, I realized how rare the type was, and got sad that I missed such an opportunity. So I rushed to the place again the next time I could. And then the next time after that.
I never saw that bin again; to this day I'm not sure whether I just sucked so much at searching, arrived at the wrong time, or the bin sold out that quickly.

I guess at least I still have the chipped coin...

Sweden, Eric XIV, 1/2 öre 1566.
MB# 105, Numista 31345.
Heavily chipped, and significantly patinated (obscuring some parts of the photos).
Actually much darker than the pics make it look like (blame the flash).

My next date is 1556 - as it happens, a non-Lithuanian coin from the reign of Sigismund II of Poland (though I do not believe it actually mentions his name anywhere).

I have also apparently missed a chance to post my rather neat 1568 coin. I hope that I'll manage to post it somewhere eventually.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My next date is 1556 - as it happens, a non-Lithuanian coin from the reign of Sigismund II of Poland

Gdansk denar?
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2780 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Gdansk denar?
Yes. How'd you guess?

(On second thought, I think I might actually have posted it on CCF before.)
Edited by january1may
09/19/2019 10:27 pm
Valued Member
Norway
319 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  03:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add giljan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Half groschen Poland/Lithuania 1565
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5618 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  03:10 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
English sixpence - 1565:
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13178 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Soldo from the Italian House of Savoy dated AD 1565:

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  05:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Three nice and very different coins already.
Today I have same coin as @giljan, I suspect this is the beginning of a parade of these for the next two weeks, even back to about 1547 they are quite accessible.

Quote:
Quote:
Gdansk denar?
Yes. How'd you guess?

I'm trying to have one type from each mint for each Polish king(and OFEY from 1507 to 1688). Hence yesterday's coin from Tykocin, (a bit obscure as the mint only operated a few years). For Gdansk, only the denar is easily affordable, so I just picked up a 1555.

Edited by tdziemia
09/20/2019 05:48 am
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2855 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Italy
Venice
1 gazzette
ND 1565
sanctus marcus venetus
uistitiam diligite
Reference: Gamberini di Scarfèa

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6210 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1565 -- Grand Duchy of Lithuania -- 1/2 groat:

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5618 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  02:57 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1564 English sixpence:
Valued Member
Norway
319 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  03:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add giljan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Half groschen Poland/Lithuania 1564

Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1564 trojak (3 groschen/groat) of SIgismund II, Vilnius mint.

Under Sigismund II, the Gdansk mint continued the tradition of portraits on trojaks, but Vilnius adopted a different design with the monogram obverse and the Lithuanian knight reverse.
Page: of 326 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05