Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Fifth Edition! We Need - 1460 C. E. (A. H. 864) -

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5,285 / Views: 221,830Next Topic
Page: of 353
Learn More...
United States
103783 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still looking for 1460 C. E. (A. H. 864).

Do any of our new members have one tucked away in their collection?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3082 Posts
Learn More...
United States
20592 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes good question @dear. We keep each thread open until it gets superseded by the following one. So this thread could keep moving until the 6th edition catches up. Of course, we have been looking for a coin from 1460 AD for a very long time...
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
103783 Posts
Learn More...
United States
103783 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have not bumped this is a while...

Still looking for 1460 C. E. (A. H. 864).

Assuming all goes smooth, we are under three months out from the lock when the 6th catches up.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2952 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it may be time to give up.

Kind of looking for a needle in a haystack.

Oh wait I have a pile of 1460 coins under my mattress.

Meanwhile, J Buck, the 100k milestone is looming!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3557 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it may be time to give up.

Kind of looking for a needle in a haystack.
...I mean, yes, it's not that likely, but who knows. 1460 European is hard, but Islamic 864 AH coins do show up every so often [EDIT: oh, here's one... for some reason the seller decided that 864 AH = 1459 AD], and IIRC there's a few single-year-type options as well.

Still sad we lost @louie, who did have 1460. Hadn't seen @pepactonius for a while either, so it will probably take a few weeks (months?) extra while the gaps get patched up.

I have an Islamic coin (acquired a few months ago) with a probable date in the 1450s (1452, IIRC); will hopefully remember to post it for ID confirmation in a while. Not that we're likely to get to 1452 anytime soon, admittedly.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5025 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been poking around in Italian city-states where some undated coins coins can be attributed to a specific year by the mintmaster's "sigile" or other means, but haven't found anything for 1460 in either Venice or Florence.

I have, however, picked up 1471 (Duchy of Ferrara), 1482 and 1484 (Florence) this way.
Learn More...
United States
20592 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not that we're likely to get to 1452 anytime soon

Agreed, but I can help get us close. Once we get past 1460, my next hole is 1453 AD.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5025 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe when we get stuck on the 6th edition, we start a new thread on the Ancient and Medieval Subforum "Farther Back than 1460 Despite Some Gaps."
It would be fun to see all the dated/datable coins earlier in the 1400s, and into the 14th century, etc.
Edited by tdziemia
05/22/2021 3:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3557 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It would be fun to see all the dated/datable coins earlier in the 1400s, and into the 14th century, etc.
I personally was envisioning it as a set of threads (one per century, perhaps, though maybe one per 3 or 5 centuries might be better) analogous [modulo some minor rule changes to match this thread's dating rules] to the old How Well Can We Cover The First Century.

EDIT:
Quote:
Once we get past 1460, my next hole is 1453 AD.
...wow, really? I didn't know we had anything in the 1457-51 range.
Edited by january1may
05/22/2021 3:57 pm
Learn More...
United States
20592 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That could be fun--perhaps in the upcoming 7th Edition of HFBWCG, @jbuck could limit it to the years present back to 1600 AD and then we "claim" earlier centuries for one or more separate threads? I think that is what you guys are suggesting.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3557 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
perhaps in the upcoming 7th Edition of HFBWCG, @jbuck could limit it to the years present back to 1600 AD
...and now I feel sad that I suggested the supplementary threads in the first place. Definitely didn't intend that. If this actually officially happens I'm likely to end up abandoning the game entirely.
Learn More...
United States
103783 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If this actually officially happens I'm likely to end up abandoning the game entirely.
Do not fret. I intend to continue the format in the seventh edition with no hard stops.

Quote:
Maybe when we get stuck on the 6th edition, we start a new thread on the Ancient and Medieval Subforum "Farther Back than 1460 Despite Some Gaps."
There are already topics in the Ancient forum that press further back with different rules...

http://goccf.com/t/195985
http://goccf.com/t/306045
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2952 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good ideas, as my collection has blown up since the 6th edition started last year. Like many colectors my collection is heavy on the 1900s and later 1800s and thins out earlier, generally dying off in the 1600s, although I have a few ancients including a 4th century BC Carthaginian tetra.

Perhaps too as the last edition was heavily saturated with USA coins until 1787, we should have 2 threads, one for USA and one for the rest of the world.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
05/24/2021 2:32 pm
Page: of 353 Previous TopicReplies: 5,285 / Views: 221,830Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05