Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1804 draped bust half cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  1:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I finally got my brother to send me images of some of his coins we split up from my grandfather back in 1972. Lo and behold, an 1804 Half Cent! I've asked him to remove from plastic and take better pictures, but for now this is all I have.

For sure it's the stem variety, and it looks like spiked chin to me. Difficult to tell if it's crosslet 4, but that appears to go with spiked chin. If some of you experts can pick it out from these lousy pictures, please comment. From PCGS photograde and what I can see of hair detail, I'm thinking VF35-XF40 range. If there are more varieties to look for, I'd appreciate the help. I'm only going off PCGS list of the main ones.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
24039 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No way to tell much of anything with those pics. Yes,it needs to be removed from the 2x2 and then take better pics,besides it needs a new 2x2 by the looks of it.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
542 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are right about it being the spiked chin. It looks like the Cohen 8 variety, last of the 4 spiked chin reverses.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28863 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better pics would really help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help so far.

He says it has crosslet 4 and stems. I think he might know more about it than I thought he did. I told him to get some crisp pictures out of the plastic and to replace the 2x2, or at a minimum replace the staples (cropped them out - they're rusty). But of course it's been in there for 45 years so the urgency level is probably low from his perspective. It's taken him years just to get this far with pictures for me, so I'm trying to keep after him now that he's gotten this far. :)

I see 4 Cohen varieties with spiked chin. Not that we know for sure yet that it's spiked chin, but what is the difference between these 4 varieties? There's some pictures of all of them in a registry set here https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ha...meset/129078 but all I can see is some minor variations in the spike and some different die cracks on the reverse. Thanks again.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully better photos will come. Sounds like you need to do a little horse trading with your bro.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sounds like you need to do a little horse trading with your bro
Ha, I used to have fantasies about putting grandpa's collection back together, he had some spectacular Canadian silver from George VI era, there were 5 of us so quite a lot of coins, but they have enormous sentimental value for each of us and getting this one from my bro would involve prying it from his cold dead hands.
Pillar of the Community
United States
542 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The spacing of the numbers in the fraction on the reverse and the location of the triple leaf in relation to the word "OF" are two areas of differences in the 4 reverse dies. Even with the poor photos it looks like the C-8 variety.

All 4 reverse dies were paired with the same "spiked chin" obverse die.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14463 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2018  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It definitely looks like the reverse of C-8, but that rev was used on C-9 and c-10 as well. It isn't C-9 the 4 is too high. I'd say it is most likely C-8 with a small chance of being C-10. If I could see the position of the R with respect to the hair wave I'd know for sure.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2018  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot. I see what you're talking about now with the positions of the triple leaf and 4. Seems like the 4 is too high to be C-10 but obviously we need better images. I bugged him again.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05