Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1887 Cent (Golf Marker)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1466 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2018  10:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1887 cent (golf marker)
Re punched date
funny colour looks like brass

Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
Canada
772 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's more then just a golf marker.
Do you have this coin in better condition?
I've haven't seen this one before however I've not searched many 1887's yet.

Cheers, Bill
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46259 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Attractive example with unusual toning - very nice.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1761 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  10:43 am  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice one, now I have to relook at my 87's again
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (click link below, you DO NOT need a facebook account to view)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
also you can see my collection of 1859 die pairs here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...47995&type=3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1761 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  10:51 am  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i looked through about 80 or so of loose ones and I didndt see any like yours, I have some collections in books I will look through later
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (click link below, you DO NOT need a facebook account to view)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
also you can see my collection of 1859 die pairs here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...47995&type=3
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's been cleaned in the past and is toning back. But, in that condition it's not a major issue.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2840 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These coins are ones that I had as culls and gave to Don for something to look through that was Canadian (New Zealand is not the ideal place to find/locate Canadian coinage). I use them as golf ball markers, after cleaning and then some Brasso to get them light enough to see on the green. I give them to friends with dates that are 100 years from their birth year. Don is cleaning them all, so I think that is where the color comes from ... some of the 50 or so that I sent were quite dirty/worn. Anything that I find that is VG or low-F, I just put in a jar, after looking to see if it is a scarce variety .. I don't care about vanilla varieties in the lower grades.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1466 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's more then just a golf marker.
Do you have this coin in better condition?
I've haven't seen this one before however I've not searched many 1887's yet.

Sorry no. page 318 I be leave
Yes I clean the vanilla,s with hot soapy water in a jewellery tank and if more -WD (soaking)with a cotton bud and tissues (not harsh stuff).
I am very grateful to receive any in any condition as you see thats 2 that I don't have so far (THANKS OKIECOINER)plus at least 10 have gone into my spares and about half will be given to other collectors of Canada (very few and far between).
Still checking and more to go.
Also note the die crack R.

Quote:
i looked through about 80 or so of loose ones and I didn't see any like yours

I have now 9 1887's

Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
United States
763 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
page 318 I be leave

It does look like that one.

Another nice find!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2840 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, p.318 is a different one that shows more left of the top serif, more at the bottom of the serif and shows well at bottom & right of the 7. There are 4-5 really nice '87 R/P's & maybe 7-8 total for the year.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05