Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's going on with the reverse of this Seated Half?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1294 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  1:50 pm Show Profile   Check Ploopy's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First post in a while, was recently on vacation for 2 weeks.

So in my infinite boredom since coming back, I came across this on eBay. On the reverse, near the O mint mark, there seems to be 2 raised lines. What could've caused these?

Collector of any American coinage.

Coins for sale: https://www.ebay.com/sch/pifagor/m....g=200&_from=
Pillar of the Community
United States
4196 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like two areas of damage that pushed up the metal on the coin. Could be die gouges, not sure.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Edited by SilverDollar2017
06/27/2018 1:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2747 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
can you post a link to the listing?
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ZenFE99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The font looks odd, and too far away from the rim? Possible fake?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4196 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I was thinking that. Obverse pics and link to the listing would help determine if this is fake. Large raised bumps are common on fakes.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26599 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A link would indeed be helpful.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2003 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Highly suspicious coin.
The softness of all the text at 12 and 6 versus the sharpness at 3 and 9.
Valued Member
United States
323 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks like an 1841 O WB 101, WB 8 variety half dollar. Identified by the die cracks on the right and between the AL in Half. I agree with SilverDollar on the pushed up metal damage. Do you have a picture of the obverse?
Edited by Heymikep
06/27/2018 3:22 pm
Valued Member
United States
323 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wait... I just found it, yep an 1841-O and it is not a counterfeit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1841-O-Sea...AOSwj6lbJbaO
Pillar of the Community
United States
1294 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Ploopy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was fake I wouldn't have bothered posting it, and strike weakness is common on these, so that's why it's soft.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering what could've caused it and I got my answer. Thank you. It's a real nice coin besides the damage, truly a shame.

What's the difference between this raised metal damage, and die gouges?

Edited by Ploopy
06/27/2018 4:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4196 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die gouges would be on the die used to strike the coin. Pushed up metal caused by damage is PMD (post mint damage), and not part of the manufacturing process at the Mint.

Thanks Heymikep for posting a link. After looking closely at both the obverse and reverse of the coin, I think that it is real, and the damage on the reverse is PMD caused by damage. The raised part is the pushed up metal, caused by a foreign object coming into contact with the coin and "displacing" the metal.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14413 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same ping tone and accurate weight as genuine?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1294 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Check Ploopy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the explanation. Since itís PMD, where is the accompanying damage that caused the raised lines? All I see are just the raised lines themselves.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1044 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since itís PMD, where is the accompanying damage that caused the raised lines? All I see are just the raised lines themselves.

Very similar to the PMD on this piece. I was told a very sharp tool was the cause, the raised lines are the result of the metal being displaced.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3988 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been watching this post to see if anyone has come up with an answer.
In my opinion it is PMD caused by pushed up metal.

Two reasons for saying this.
When looking at an "error", I try to think not of how it was done,
but could it possibly been done at the mint. In this case about the
only way I can think of it being done at the mint is by a die gouge.
If it was a die gouge there would be many more minted and would have
been discovered by now as a variety.

Also if you look at the picture that I enlarged, it looks like there
are marks showing where the metal has been pushed.

As I say, this is only my observation.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05