Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible 1889 VAm23A

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  11:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add quanjito to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am new to this blog and am new to the coin collecting world, but I have just inherited a little over three thousand Morgan silver dollars from my Grandfather, All but a couple are graded and he left a note to grade this particular coin in its personal box, I was just wondering how do I grade and what is an VAM23A 1889? I am uploading photos.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
24027 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Look here http://www.vamworld.com/
There are three grading companies most recommend:PCGS-NGC and ANACS.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
06/28/2018 11:48 am
Learn More...
United States
61405 Posts
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add quanjito to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information and the welcome, do youu think that this coin is worth the time to have graded?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24027 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a general rule,the retail value after slabbing needs to be at least $200 to justify all slabbing costs involved.
John1
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add quanjito to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I honestly do not know how much the coin is worth, it would be interesting to find out about it. All I know is that the Case it came in said it was a Possible VAM 23A, Which I do not know what that means, but it also said to send it off. I also have several Gold coins that are from North Carolina that he wanted to send off. How does this PCGS thing work anyhow?

Thank you for your kind replies and information.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24027 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out PCGS.com. Before you send any in,post here on CCF to see if it will be worth the effort. Could save you a lot of money. Check eBay sold values to see if there has been one sold like yours to get an idea of value.
John1
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add quanjito to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you
Pillar of the Community
United States
2724 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2018  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quanjito,

Unfortunately your coin is not a VAM 23A. In the 1889-P series there are only three varieties with obverse wing clashes off the jaw ... Vams 7B, 47 and 60. All the rest come off the neck. It appears from the clash location that yours is the 7B.

Welcome to CCF.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2018  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add quanjito to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your information, I was wondering if it is worth sending off, I guess I willo just put it up with the rest of the coins in my safe. Thank all of you at this forum for your help, You guys are awesome.

Sincerely,

Joseph Bradley
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05