Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Small 2 In 1992 Penny Is This A Thing?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 8,197Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
114 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2018  01:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Loveameric to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12105 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2018  02:01 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not a thing. The only "thing" for that coin is whether it is a Wide AM or Close AM. Yours appears to be a Wide AM and is normal.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2018  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loveameric to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ty
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2018  03:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope. You have a normal coin.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2021  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joeraptor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just wondering what might make this a thing? looking at PCGS coins, a regular 2 is spaced closer to the 9. I'm sitting here looking my "small 2" 1992-P and none of my other 92's look remotely close.
Valued Member
United States
496 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
just wondering what might make this a thing? looking at PCGS coins, a regular 2 is spaced closer to the 9. I'm sitting here looking my "small 2" 1992-P and none of my other 92's look remotely close.

Concerning the 1992 Lincoln Cent, there is no such thing as a "regular 2 or a small 2". Not sure where you read this or exactly what you are referring to.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58744 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2022  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well there is a reason why it is smaller. The die was over polshed removing part of the fields. When this happens:

The fields will be reduced, making the devices appear smaller on the coins struck with the die. This is a common event. This happens when they try rescue the die. There are a number of reasons why they do this:
#1. Die clash events to remove clash marks from the die. (Just a die event that happened to the die, so it can continue to be used)
#2. Feeder finger damage from the fingers that get struck during a strike. This damages the dies and they need a deep polishing to remove the damage.
Mild damage:

Stronger damage:

The result:

Removal of nose area.

# 3 Also die dents on the edges of the will damage each other if not handled properly:

When they are polished off with a deep polishing, then the devices become smaller:

#4 Ridge ring removal:

I feel #4 describes the way/reason that that the die was polished that altered the '2' on your coin. So while there answer is correct, they look at your post count and figured that a simple answer was the easy way out. But a season collector would be helped with a longer explanation. That is what your answer is. The die polished and reduced the size of the devices. No premium for this. Now that you know the reasons, you can move on to the next coin. When you see another one, then you will know what it is. Then go on to the next coin. Not a mint error, not a variety, it is just a die event.

CoopHome: Why do they polish dies?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
06/01/2022 6:21 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10351 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2022  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I think that this is a normal looking date - especially the 2
I went looking for other 1992-D cent coins on ebay for comparison.
eBay item number:133880162528

eBay item number:124994718669

I could go and keep finding more that look exactly like the OP's coin, but I don't want to overwhelm the topic with images that look just like the one presented.
The only major difference I see between the OP's coin and the ones I'm posting is that the eBay ones are cleaner and in more pristine condition, not toned, stained and mottled looking. the die may have been a partial filled die, or a over polish job around the 2
Edited by Dearborn
06/01/2022 6:30 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 8,197Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: