Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help identifying gold coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
131 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  4:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add clarapedrero1989 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was able to buy this coin from someone it's a set of 3 exact ones and would like to get some information on exactly what it is. All info is appreciated !

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2097 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is gold plated. It is a privately minted copy of an ASE.
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clarapedrero1989 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to mention that it sticks to a magnet if that helps
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1761 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it says right on the back of the coin, 100 mills .999 gold. which means it is plated extremely thinly with gold, sticking to magnet means it is not silver underneath.. it is worth a buck or two.. Hope you didn't pay too much for it..
Valued Member
Canada
75 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roro57 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it does help, It confirms 100% what Big Silver Stated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5536 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A privately made replica of an American Silver Eagle made out of some cheap metal. It has little value.

to the CCF!
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1108 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like one of QVC channel coins for the remarkable price of only $19.99 plus shipping and handling.
Pillar of the Community
United States
939 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coppergold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Little Hydrochloric acid and some hydrogen peroxide should get that gold off if you want it instead of the coin :D Or I think even Hydrochloric acid and Nitric acid can get that gold off too!
If it works with computer parts, I'm sure it could work for the plated coins aswell lol
Research how to recover gold plating. Its interesting and eye opening
Edited by Coppergold
07/02/2018 5:53 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12005 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a copy of a ASE.
Errers and Varietys
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2311 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum. You’ve come to a phenomenal place to share and learn.
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
1051 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was able to buy this coin from someone it's a set of 3 exact ones and would like to get some information on exactly what it is. All info is appreciated !

So what'd you pay? Is that person a friend? FYI, these "coins" (they're not really coins) are produced to take advantage of the ignorance of potential buyers. It states right on it exactly what it is and yet most people simply don't know what the words mean. They think they're getting something of value and yet reality is that they simply purchased something that looks similar to a real coin, but it's really just worthy of the recycle bin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4210 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it is worth a buck or two..

Yup...agree
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2508 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In principle, assuming that it's really as large as a real ASE (which it might not necessarily be) and really has a 100 mill(ionths) gold plating (which they could also have skimped on), it should have... um, 0.00254 mm times 40.6 mm squared times half pi times gold density - that's around 20 - times whatever gold price is... carry the one... something along the lines of $5 worth of gold.

(I cheated and used Wolfram Alpha, which gave me $5.12, but my initial back-of-the-napkin calculations ended up with around $5 as well.)

In practice, of course it's probably still worth a buck or two, because it's not remotely near profitable to recover the minuscule amount of gold in that plating (assuming that it's even actual gold plating at all).
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05