Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1891 CC Coronet Head Gold $20 Double Eagle Liberty Head - Twenty Dollars

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  3:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bgreco to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

My mom bought this coin for me for $20 at an estate sale. I don't think the image quality here does it justice, but it looks great. Any idea what the worth would be or the best way to find a buyer?

Thanks,
Pillar of the Community
United States
1521 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could it be a reproduction, rather than a real coin?
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bgreco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not ruling that out, but what makes you think so?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7540 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mushy, grainy details...screams fake to me...I have been wrong before.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Pillar of the Community
United States
5603 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a fake. Obverse portrait is off along with lettering and the rim of the coin.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bgreco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I'm zoomed in to a screenshot of a picture so the quality may be lost here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5603 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not the quality of the pic. Itís that the coin is a counterfeit.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4662 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a reproduction.
Date is wrong and MM in wrong position.

There were only 5000 1891CC minted.
If it was genuine, it would be worth in the
tens of thousands. There is one for sale now
graded AU58 for around $55,000.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bgreco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dang, well I guess I will use it as a paper weight. So long payday. :( thanks fells I am gone to be sad now.
Learn More...
United States
60393 Posts
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bgreco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lol thank you jbuck, I will be back with more posts as I do have my grandfather's coin collection.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8213 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bgreco, I bummed to see the negative news on your first coin posted here, but look forward to seeing others with hopefully more positive results.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28267 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too bad.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2117 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin appears to be a counterfeit, but some of the gold counterfeits were made from 90% gold. You should weigh the coin if the weight is correct, then have it tested for gold content.
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smalldawg59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Uhmmmm....more than likely fake. I can see from the pictures the surfaces are grainy and rough. The obverse rims look to have leftover metal indicating a cast counterfeit to me. And a double set of denticles there too. But for $20, great.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05