Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1950-D Jefferson Nickel - real or fake

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
939 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coppergold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only counterfeit nickels I know about are the henning nickels and the die markers for those are the louped R tail in PLURIBUS. And they are usually during wartime nickels, so there would be a lack of a mintmark above the Monticello

If you don't know about the henning nickels I suggest you read this.
http://www.error-ref.com/henning-co...feit-nickel/
Edited by Coppergold
07/09/2018 6:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6401 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Authentic (sorry) ... damaged by some unknown process post-mint but genuine nonetheless.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31940 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This year/mint the mintage was announced to be a low mintage run. So a lot of rolls were saved this year/mint. So when you look at prices for this year, the circulated coins are harder to find than the BU ones. So the prices are higher than normal for this year. Almost the same as the BU coins.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4789 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at it more, the original owner may have attempted to clear up some corrosion settling in on a BU coin by pickling the specimen (note the verdigras and where it cleared up a bit leaving a dark stain). Unfortunately, the coin was too far gone and required a longer dip which damaged the coin (any length of soak would damage the coin). A place holder that you can eventually replace with a coin from the wild (with extensive looking and a bit of luck), or purchased for a few dollars. Good luck on the hunt for a better specimen!
2016 Objective - to establish a system to organize and catalog my expanding nickel and cent collection.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05