Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1849 cent from Joseph Horne company in acrylic I found

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
54 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  6:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jasondbell123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I found this paperweight cleaning out the house today. Forgot I had it. I remember this from childhood and never though much about it until now. Its my oldest coin and looks like a collectors item from the Joseph Horne department store in Pittsburgh.

Long been out of business, but I though it was neat as a kid. I think it was a cheap collector item made by the company back in the day. Its in solid acrylic with a 1849-1949 plate encased(how long the company was in business for)

Dont think its worth anything, but it now is my oldest coin and I didnt even have to buy an Airtite!

Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasondbell123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would think it looks like G, maybe VG for a grade. Being encased in a solid acrylic brick, it actually retained a very decent luster.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3893 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately its looks like it's been polished, which will really hurt it's collectible value, but it's still a nice conversation piece!
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasondbell123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, reading here on this website, which Ive learned a lot, it looks like even back in the day it was cleaned/scrubbed pretty good before being encased.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The value of the promotional aspect of the sealed coin is worth more than the very low numismatic value.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28787 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting find, thanks for sharing it with us!
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasondbell123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coinfrog. I appreciate all the feedback being a newbie here.
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasondbell123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also the this plate I think is also copper, but heavily burnished/worn.

I have no idea of the history behind this or how many were made/still exist.

The item is 4 by 4 inches wide/length and about 1.5 inches think. Solid acrylic(not glass)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8113 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with moxking. The piece is most likely worth more as it is than the coin would be alone. Nice, and thanks for sharing!
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasondbell123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!

I dont even have a clue on how much a cleaned 1849 cent is worth.

But this isn't a slab

It looks like it was literally baked into a acrylic brick. It may not have even been done in 1949, perhaps later.

A bit of history, back in the earlier part of Pittsburgh's history, Hornes was the "upscale" place to shop if you had money

Kaufmann's was the "middle class" to go departments store

Gimbels was the "working class" store. All were located in downtown Pittsburgh and all out of business now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8113 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  12:35 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did a quick eBay search for "Joseph Horne" and many items can be found, but of course, being a department store means that the items range greatly in type. The only thing I found in the numismatic area were a couple listings for store cards (tokens).

I can't say anything about when what you have was made. It seems like a '50s thing to do, though.
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Learn More...
United States
61314 Posts
Valued Member
United States
339 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are others... https://www.worthpoint.com/worthope...o-1544161022
These were probably made for presentation to staff or vendors at the time. Now you have a family mystery to solve! The best coins are the ones with stories.
Edited by Kushanshah
07/08/2018 12:45 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05