Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Whitman Folders Reviews

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  9:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone had any experiences with Whitman Folders good or bad? I was thinking of putting my Canadian Coin Collection in their folders as no one else has Albums for them that I could find. So I was hoping to hear the good, bad and ugly about them, thoughts?

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10183 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you talking about the simple cardboard folders or the albums with the plastic slides?
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2795 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lighthouse has Canadian Coin albums.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was talking folders but while on the subject, I have heard that both folders and albums with tone by coins and "ruin" them, has anyone experienced toning in albums and/or folders?
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks oriole! I now noticed that as well as a company called Kaskade makes an "album" as well
Edited by Krazy Kermit
07/06/2018 10:03 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10183 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't been collecting long enough to see the effects of folders and albums on coins from beginning to end, but I have taken coins out of folders that were obviously there for some time and the reverses are often toned and have some residue on them.

However, I don't know the past storage conditions of those folders.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks spruett001!

That is what I am wondering is if its more the environment the album or folder is housed in more than anything.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kermit, first off, think about using blank cent pages in a Whitman album and using a labelmaker to mark it.

Now folders, the newer ones are rather OK and shouldn't affect anything. All the sulphur is removed and shouldn't effect the reverses... but, having one side exposed to air and other elements, natural discoloring could happen. All depends on handling and storage... why it's better to have plastic slides in an album.

Older folders, especially ones from pre 80s, may have different materials used that adversely effect the coins, glue and ink sometimes will cause toning. Also, once coins have been put in and taken out a few times, folders lose the ability to hold coin well.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stumbled across LIGHTHOUSE VISTA books that hold coins up to at least 2016 for Canada. So I might give them a try they have a very nice cover.

Learn More...
United States
78272 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been using Dansco albums for over 33 years. No problems or complaints.

Albums are not air tight, so where you keep them will affect toning. Somewhere with low humidity and stable temperature are preferred.

Folders can be a problem because one side of the coin is directly touching the backing which may have glue or other residue on it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18639 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember that a Folder is just that. No protection from touching or some spit from a cough. And most people have to use their thumb to push the coins into a slot which leaves finger prints. Some coins tend to fall out if worn to much. The Lighthouse one you posted looks like an Album, not a Folder. Good choice. I found a place where I purchased my Canadian Cent Album and it is great. Just can't remember where from.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jafo50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer the Whitman folders with the plastic slides because you can view both sides of the coin without removing it from the book. I've also had problems with the regular Whitman books where the coin fits into a slot where only the obverse is visible. Sometimes due to coin wear or a manufacturing issue with the book the coins fall out of the slot which is a problem for me. I recently purchase a Whitman Large Cents book from Wizard Coin Supply and am very happy with the album.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2019  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nics-r-good to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started with folders years ago and had nothing but headaches. Either the holes were too small and you had to strain to get the coin in, or they were loose and the coins fell out constantly. Now I either use albums or leave the coins in tubes. I have all brands, Dansco, Whitman, Littleton. (I buy whatever is cheapest) They all seem the same to me, good way to organize and store, and easy.
Learn More...
United States
78272 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2019  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent!

Starting with folders is a good way to really appreciate how nice albums are after you move to them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10088 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2019  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I realize this is an older thread that was bumped but FWIW, I use quite a few Whitman Classic albums and am a big fan of the quality and the look. I'm partial to the blue covers and gold block text (vs the script of Dansco albums). The quality may be a little beneath Dansco, but not much if so. Slip covers are not available for Whitman Classic albums, and that can be a drawback for some.
Valued Member
Canada
337 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2019  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use the Lighthouse Vista series. There are two types for each coin, one with dates, the other blank so you can extend for varieties or when your printed dates expire. You can also purchase blank pages to extend the album.

https://www.lighthousecanada.ca/vis...-albums.html

They also have Vista albums for Euro coin sets, US State Quarters, US ATB Quarters and US Presidential dollars.

https://www.lighthousecanada.ca/vis...dollars.html

These URLs are in Canada for Canadian purchases but folks like Wizard carry Lighthouse in the US.

Since the spines are consistent, they make a great bookshelf and the coins are protected and visible from both sides and I have never had an untoward tarnish issue using Lighthouse.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05