Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Potential Carson City Commemoratives for 2020  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8365 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  1:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Attention, U.S. Commemorative collectors...

Quote:
Introduced June 26 by Rep. Mark Amodei (R-NV), the Carson City Mint 150th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Act of 2018 (H.R.6221) is seeking up to 100,000 $5 gold coins and a maximum of 500,000 silver dollars in collector qualities of proof and uncirculated for issue during calendar year 2020.

http://www.coinnews.net/2018/07/06/...ns-proposed/

This would be in competition with:

o the Kennedy Commemorative and
o the 75th Anniversary of the End of World War II Commemorative and
o the Plymouth 400th Anniversary Commemorative and
o the Mayflower Commemorative

There may be others at this point for 2020.

It would be pretty cool if they could put up a "pop-up" mint in Carson City for just this release (if it comes to fruition) so they could press the coins with the CC MM.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15517 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
500,000? They will never sell that many.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10455 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The CC is a cool idea, but the WWII and Mayflower are more significant and I am a sucker for coins with ships on them and would like to see more of that. The pop-up mint idea while fun to think about would never happen, would be way to expensive.

I also agree the 500k mintages are way to high for the silver dollars and have been for sometime, the gold should be at least cut in half too
Edited by basebal21
07/08/2018 12:58 am
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The pop-up mint idea while fun to think about would never happen, would be way to expensive.

Well, it has been done before

From Numismatic News
Quote:
On Wednesday, June 14, 1989, members of Congress personally did for the first time what the Constitution authorized them to do 200 years ago: they coined money. At a gala ceremony at the east front of the Capitol, leaders of the House and Senate stepped forward to strike specimens of the 1989 Congress Bicentennial $5 gold piece and silver dollar following the traditional first strike by Nicholas F. Brady, secretary of the Treasury.

Coin presses were moved from the Philadelphia Mint to Washington DC so that members of the Congress could strike coins for the Congress Bicentennial. They authorized this with PL 101-36 just a few days before the event.

Would the Congress authorize the same for a CC Mint striking? IMHO very doubtful as it wouldn't have the same PR opportunity
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10455 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Coin presses were moved from the Philadelphia Mint to Washington DC so that members of the Congress could strike coins for the Congress Bicentennial. They authorized this with PL 101-36 just a few days before the event.

Would the Congress authorize the same for a CC Mint striking? IMHO very doubtful as it wouldn't have the same PR opportunity

True though its a bit different moving from Philly to DC for the publicity of congress

SF isn't insanely far if they could spare one, but the real problem is who would go? Carson City has a very small population and I can't imagine a whole lot of collectors traveling for that when most don't even like to travel to major shows now a days
Learn More...
United States
57920 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8365 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  12:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The thought of a pop-up mint was pretty much a joke on my part, but if it happened collectors (including myself) would go nuts for something like this. I don't think it would be
profitable for the mint but talk about a shot in the arm for numismatics.

On second thought, the big guys would ruin it for everyone. Disregard.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
955 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We've seen Kennedy (both of them) and WWII before. Plymouth and the Mayflower seem more or less the same, and significant enough to warrant a piece for either or both themes. I'd welcome a CC commemorative and it would appeal and draw attention to the hobby.
Working on: Franklin halves (now complete!), Peace dollars (three to go), US type (Bust era), and just started Chinese pandas.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1035 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be interested in coins with a CC mm.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05