Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bluish Haze on Silver Proof Ikes?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8114 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  11:33 pm Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am aware of and own several silver proof Ikes with haziness on the fields that has a bluish tint to it. Is there any known safe method of removing it?

Is this just a 40% silver problem?

I have treated proofs before, even 90% silver, with acetone, but I don't know what this haze actually is. I'm willing to experiment, as well, if anyone has suggestions for what may work.

"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10969 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS 70 has worked for me before with that
Pillar of the Community
United States
3842 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This hazing/fogging issue has plagued brown box Ike dollars for decades.

I have used MS 70 (most recently) and Jewel Luster (in the past) to remove the hazy film. Both worked well for me.

Learn More...
United States
61434 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never tried to remove it myself, nor have I really wanted to. Most of the 40% silver proof Ikes in my Dansco have some degree of haze and I feel it gives them some character.

With my slabbed Ikes, however, I have avoided buying those with hazing. It is meant to be a more pristine set.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17017 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would be nice to know what causes it though.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8915 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct me if I'm wrong but all 40 silver Ike's came from brown boxes and in a plastic holder . maybe the plastic that they used wasn't up to industry standards and once infected it stayed with the coin even when cracked out .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11846 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have used Verdi-Care. It seems to work.
GoldRush58 - GR58
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
20 years from now original blue haze might do the same thing to prices that natural rainbow toning does to a classic coin today. Zaps the prices up since there are so few remaining that someone hasn't cleaned.

I myself would think a set WITH that toning, when it could be found, would be gorgeous.

Cleaning, no matter what type, can never be taken back.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10969 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
20 years from now original blue haze might do the same thing to prices that natural rainbow toning does to a classic coin today.

Highly doubtful, its ugly. If so just stick it back in the brown box and it'll haze over again
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8114 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses everyone. It gives me some options to think about.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but all 40 silver Ike's came from brown boxes and in a plastic holder .

Actually, the coin(s) in question are from Bicentennial 3-coin silver proof sets. Different packaging, but they are still in plastic capsules. One of them looks great on the obverse, but flip it over and it's absolutely plagued with splotchy haze.

Even though all of the coins are 40% silver, the Ikes seem to suffer this effect more than the half and quarter.
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05