Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968-D cent -- extremely strange doubling (and more!)

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  5:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Howard Black to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
[[Edited to add uncropped (but reduced size) full frame image of reverse, to provide some idea of the amount of cropping that was necessary.]]

It is with great trepidation that I post another coin... <g> (And then I'm gonna give it a break. Don't want to wear out my welcome *too* soon -- assuming I haven't already managed that!)

I have a 1968-D with multiple issues -- the most dramatic of which is an apparent feeder finger strike, which took out a fairly substantial chunk from the rim area (maybe 1/16th inch or so) on the reverse, extruded part of the obverse rim into the IGWT lettering, and warped that part of the coin. It also took out some minor chunks on the face of the reverse side.

[[At this point, I'm going to interrupt myself, and say that I am sort of bracing for an onslaught of "PMD! PMD! PMD!"

If it's of *any* help to avert the pitchforks and torches, I want to *try* to assure you that I'm quite familiar with PMD in many if not all its permutations. I keep two jars by my desk: One says "Spend Me!" and the other says "Gag Coins." The first jar is regularly emptied by my wife into a *big* jar. The second jar awaits the day I finally get caught up on "stuff" and make a Youtube parody reel, featuring "R@RE COINS! unlike *any* other!" (When I get caught up... In other words, that jar will probably get spent a day or so after they toss my ashes into the breeze.)

end_self-interruption]]

It also appears to be a DDO coin (spread on the lettering, with faint separation line on several of the characters). The coin is dark, appears to be an annealing mishap/sintered coin, which promoted a "lovely" coat of verdigris (removed courtesy of a few drops of " Verdi-Care"), but an overall good, solid strike with nice sharp, crisp edges on the lettering and bust.

But, the MOST curious aspect is the DDR (if not a doubled die, I have NO clue as to what caused this, I've never seen anything like it). The word "UNUM" is doubled. By "doubled" I mean the word is REPEATED!

Just to the right of "UNUM" is a very faint "UNUM"! The duplicate does not overlap the original, it's not at an angle, and the very weak impression is stronger at the top, with a fairly sharp "cut" at the top of each letter (the flat part at the top of each part of each letter). At first glance, it looked like a series of dashes, but when I took my loupe to it, I could see that there were actually *letters* beneath the "dashes" which were actually the tops of each letter.

As soon as I get set up to be able to take decent photos, I'll post something better than these two (taken with the same P&S as the other coin, same obscenely severe cropping). My Micro-Nikkor on my Pentax DSLR, with some decent lighting, and this coin's features will have much better visibility. (I'll also rig something to hold the coin on edge, so that I can photograph the warp.)

For now, I'm afraid the written description will convey much more information than the visual.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea about that UNUM doubling ? (It is just *barely* -- and partially -- visible in the image below.)

Edited by Howard Black
07/09/2018 6:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antmark3d to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's hard to tell what's happening with the pictures.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Howard Black to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I did say they weren't of much use, and to go by the text (until I can create better images).
Pillar of the Community
United States
6920 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some better pics are needed, as there could be several causes to the word UNUM being repeated.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24423 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need better lit and in focus pics to be sure of what you have. As of now,looks PSD. No feeder finger damage that I can see.Will wait for better pics
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1475 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mr. Black, without clearer images that are closer it makes it difficult for any of us to help you better. The commentary does help but there is nothing like clear pics for us to see what you're seeing. I hope it's a one in a million cent but won't be able to give you an assessment until closer, clearer images are available.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Howard Black to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"As of now,looks PSD."

OK, you're the first! <g>

(Now tell me what kind of PSD can duplicate "UNUM"!)

PS: I added a third photo, to give an idea of just how severely cropped these are. When I am able to take some decent shots, I certainly will (soon, I hope, but things tend to go slowly for me, unlike when I was young and healthy).
Edited by Howard Black
07/09/2018 6:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1475 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the UNUM is incused and appears backwards the it could have been a vise job.
Edited by Jim0815
07/09/2018 6:24 pm
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's not a feeder finger damage, just a crimp...can tell by smashed rim on obverse by you on rim. Now that "unum2x" is indeed odd. Is it included or raised? Looks raised but yes, bad pic so a guess. If incused(inwards),that's a coin contact impression, if raised, IDK?...that would be die damage, but need better pix for assessment.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3937 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't worry about posting your questions here, we're here to help, just please remember that many people on here have many decades of experience with errors, some with specific expertise in Lincoln cent errors and varieties. It's very frustrating when someone comes on to the forum convinced that they have something special when in reality it's just another damaged coin, and when they hear the bad news, they dig in and refuse to believe it isn't an error. It happens much more often than you might think(usually daily).

As for your coin, I'm going to tell you what you dont want to hear, it does look like it's PMD. Error-ref.com is a great site to learn about the types of errors that are possible, heres their entry on feeder finger strike through's: http://www.error-ref.com/stk_thru_feeder_finger/ Looks quite different from yours correct? In almost every case of a strike through you aren't going to see the rim get misshapen and distended like your coin because the collar die holds everything in place. the only exception would be if it were struck through something large enough to block the collar die, but that would have a massive impact on the coin's shape as you can see from the link I provided.

Your second concern may be something, but we're going to need better pictures to determine what it could be, I can tell you it probably isn't a DDR, because something as dramatic as what you're describing and what I think I see would have been almost certainly already been discovered.
Edited by Adam_E
07/09/2018 6:31 pm
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Howard Black to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks just like its big brother, just not as tall (the main UNUM is nicely stamped -- its clone is faintly stamped,as if the die was given a little tap instead of a *blam* by the press).
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Howard Black to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've already looked at their photos, but IIRC, the Mint switched to aluminum feeder fingers after this coin was minted, and depending on how the planchet slips/slides during insertion, the "oops" can result in a variety of artifacts, n'est-ce pas?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3937 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even still it would not have looked like this
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Striking errors are very blatant and can be categorized. That is a PostStrikeDamage
http://www.error-ref.com/?s=feeder+error
http://www.error-ref.com/edge_strike/

Quote:
Below is a triple-struck nickel struck through the part of the feeder finger that cradles the planchet. The force of the impact nearly tore off the metal beneath it. It's tenuously connected to the rest of the coin at one end. The loose flap was telescoped beneath the main part of the coin, probably when the coin was encapsulated.

Edited by Crazyb0
07/09/2018 6:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6920 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still need some better pics. Try to take your new pics similar to the original picture of the obverse of the coin.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Edited by SilverDollar2017
07/09/2018 6:42 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29606 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Especially a close-up of the UNUM area.

to the CCF!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05