Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1959-D Lincoln penny with "phantom" MM behind date?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  3:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NocturnalJay to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm not sure if I'm just seeing things, but I believe this is a "phantom" MM behind the 5 in the date. In Microsoft Paint, I blew up the image to 400%. I created a "D" from the original MM and pasted over the "phantom" MM. The inner arc and other points seems to match up perfectly. I'm I just seeing things or is this legit?

Pillar of the Community
United States
5530 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, all I see is some PMD.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11994 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's just a stain, not an RPM. It's Post Strike Damage (it happened after it left the U.S. Mint). This is called paradollia. That's when your mind see things that aren't actually there.
Errers and Varietys
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NocturnalJay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took a couple angled images. Wouldn't PMD show signs of gouging? It looks like part of the 5 is going out following the shape where the MM would be.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11994 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's no RPM as I already said.
Errers and Varietys
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28168 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly a die chip or stain or some sort, but whatever it is, it's not a misplaced mintmark.
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NocturnalJay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just wishful thinking. The eyes sees what they want to see.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6460 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plus weren't MM's placed last on the dies - so no way to put one under the numbers in the date.
Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few days of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JLAM2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.lincolncentresource.com/...wrpm003.html

Here a link to that is what I believe your going for. Currently listed as "controversial" though I'm sure many are collecting this for the personal stash.
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In order to get the mint mark under the date it would have had to have hit the die after the date was put in. I see what your talking about though. It's def raised so it's not a stain. Maybe that particular area of the die got dented in by something? But if that is the case, wouldn't it be possible that when the MM was stamped in the die, the punch jumped/bounced when being hmered manually and that's where it landed. It's only like a third the height as the other devices which is what you would expect happen in a bounce. Not saying that's what it is, prob just a dent but am I talking crazy for theorizing that or does it happen from time to time? Feel free to tell me it's rediculous or explain why it's not possible, genuinely trying to learn something.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31829 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not raised like a miss punch would make. It is just a stain. Also it is too small to be a mint mark.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11994 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF JLAM2018! It's nice to see new members join CCF! I hope you post more on CCF in the future.
Errers and Varietys
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So it's not raised at all? It looks raised in my pics. Oh well. I posted a penny a while back that has the same anomoly as the penny JLAM posted except it's on the first 9 and it's a 1958. I'm gonna repost it in a new thread. Would like to revisit it
Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1309 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thereís not enough there to determine if it is truly another mintmark punch or not.

Itís in a common place for die chips, could it be a die crack?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05