Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972 Quarter with triangle in the leaf

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
51 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  2:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wooden1165 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok, what is up with this triangle in the leaf here and why does this "R" look so different than the other?

Pillar of the Community
United States
5603 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1. Triangle on the leaf is a die chip.
2. The R is PMD.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to disagree with you silver but I think this is the result of a die clash and the die got polished a ton in that spot. There should actually be a leaf there. It's what remains of the leaf that is usually present on the coin. Compare it to another quRter and see for yourself
Pillar of the Community
United States
5603 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for pointing out my mistake Waynoah83. I reply to many threads per day, and I accidentally copy/pasted a reply I was typing to another thread into this thread. Sorry.

It is the result of overpolishing the die, which removed the leaf.
I don't think it is caused by a clash, as the leaf is present on all normal coins.

The flattened R looks like some PMD.

Edited by SilverDollar2017
07/11/2018 2:44 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31902 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But clashes are only on the fields of the coin. That area is deeper into the die and not affected by a clash. There is nothing to cause a clash on that area:

Check to see if it is level with the field and leaf. It maybe just a stain? The mark on the leg of the 'R' is just a struck through grease error.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
07/11/2018 3:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5603 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop - As the leaf is present on normal coins but only a fragment is left on this one, I'm thinking it because the die was overpolished in that area.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12032 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks like a stain to me.
Errers and Varietys
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where is the leaf that is there on every other quarter with this design, on every year. I agree it may look like a stain but what are the odds of this particular die missing that leaf and a stain appearing in the exact same location that is the exact shape and size of the missing leaf? I don't know why it's missing, possibly a little grease was stuck in that leaf on the die. If not from polishing than that is the most obvious answer.
Edited by Waynoah83
07/11/2018 11:53 pm
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wooden1165 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a lot of answers. Hmm.. Need to narrow that done that's for sure. :)
Valued Member
United States
361 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2018  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jst1dreamr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are looking for the value; either way there is not much if any added value that I see.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05