Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Competition for 1932 Washington Quarter design  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  4:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mike2951 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am researching the design of the 1932 Washington quarter and am trying to find a list of the people that entered this design competition, There was approximately 100 entrants, I know that Laura Fraser and Thomas Cremona entered and John Flanagan. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mike
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8275 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF! That's a very interesting question that you have. I don't know, but other members might know.
Errors and Varietys.
Learn More...
United States
58002 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jst1dreamr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't answer the but I am interested to hear the outcome.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6317 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF.

You might have better responses by posting this in the USA commemorative forum - where our Master Historian commems could see it and respond.

Knowing commems as we do - he likely can be of support to your inquiry.

I do know that Laura Gardin Fraser won the competition ... her winning design was rejected in favor of John Flanagan design we have all come to know .... and then the Ms. Fraser 'winning' design was finally used to produce the 1999 $5 gold coin commemorating the bicentennial of George Washington death.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1311 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, if her design won, why was Flanagan's used?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7389 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, if her design won, why was Flanagan's used?

I can't vouch for accuracy, but it's explained more here:

http://washingtonquarters.org/washi...rter-design/

Here is a bit more detailed account:

http://www.washingtonquarterresourc...ma-in-design
Bad puns make me [sic].

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
07/11/2018 11:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
543 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HoboNickelCarver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16673 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My suggestions were rejected also. They just wouldn't listen to me back then.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3798 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't recall seeing a complete list of the sculptors who were invited to submit plaster cast models for the Washington quarter.

I've checked my copy of the complete final Report of the United States George Washington Bicentennial Commission - it does not include a list. I've also checked the annual report of the US Mint for FY 1932 - no list.

Doing a few searches of contemporary newspapers also failed to turn up a list.

My initial suggestion would be to contact the National Archives and check for the availability of Mint records for 1931 and 1932. If they are available, you would have a reasonable chance of locating the information you are seeking.

I'll check a few other of my resources and update this post with anything that I find.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RLS0812 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was a nice coin design - shame it wasn't used
Edited by RLS0812
07/15/2018 12:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3798 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another thought, you might make a list of notable sculptors of the day and search for available info on each. Years ago, I did such a search on the papers of Laura Gardin Fraser and turned up a number of design sketches that were unpublished. You might find references to Washington quarter designs among the papers of the sculptors.

It is known that the Mint sent invitations to “prominent sculptors” of the day; it seems logical to assume that those already known within the numismatic field would be included among the invitees.

A few artists/sculptors of the day that had ties to coins/medals:

Robert Aitken
Chester Beach
John C. Brcin
Charles Keck
Henry Kreiss
Gertrude Lathrop
Agustus Lukeman
Hermon MacNeil
Trygve A. Rovelstad
Jacques Schnier
Hans Schuler
William Marks Simpson
Adolf Weinman
Howard Kenneth Weinman

Of course, there are many more but the above came quickly to mind.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05