Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Heavy Weight Caracalla Denarius

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2065 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  5:35 pm Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received this nicely toned Caracalla denarius (RIC, #266) today what weighs in at a whopping 4.36 grams. I don't think I've seen a later denarius that is this heavy.

The style looks good to me and it appears to have been struck on good silver, so I do believe it is an official mint issue.

Out of curiosity I went through the several hundred later Caracalla denarius (with similar bearded bust) on VCoins to check weights.

Coins ranged from a low of 1.62, 1.81 and 1.86 grams and went all the way up to 3.89, 3.95 and one coin that weighs 4.27, about the same as mine.

I know planchet weights varied, but this one is not that far from antoninianus weight. I just thought I'd share.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2065 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also thought I'd share this photo of the edge of the coin. It's a bit unusual.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
3742 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking coin, Paul, and I hope the Roman collectors think it's kosher. However I did spot the reverse below from a 4.6gm coin in the fake reports, described as a fantasy combination of a Severus Alexander obverse with a Caracalla (RIC 266) reverse. The pic from Forum's reports is terrible, but it does seem the lettering is quite similar. Do you think the reverse on yours is a match?

Edited by Bob L
07/11/2018 6:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2065 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bob,

Thanks for the link. If it is not real, that would account for the heavy weight, similar to the Severus Alexander fantasy piece.

I'll see what others say and, if necessary, contact the seller. If it's not "kosher" the seller offers a 14 day return . . and I didn't pay that much for it.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
2913 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have fallen for it easy enough
I don't think I need any more evidence than this as to why I am scared away by silver
I am too prone to deception by a beautiful face

IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Valued Member
United States
339 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The edge photo makes me wonder if it might be an electrotype?
Learn More...
United States
21688 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bob has a good eye spotting die matches especially on fakes. His assessment is good enough for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add augustus1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paul, look at the N's in the obrverse legend. I have not seen such irregular N's on a genuine coin.
My educational sites: http://augustuscoins.com/ed/
My coins for sale: http://augustuscoins.com/
My ancient-coin literature for sale: http://augustuscoins.com/numislit.html
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05