Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 Kennedy Half Dollar  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  09:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thesuze to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello!

This is my first post as I am new.

After paying for my bill at a fast food restaurant I was given change.

One of them was a 1983 D Kennedy half dollar. There were two things that I noticed about it.

1. It has was appears to be a black detector pen mark.
2. Through the bottom of his ear is a line that was engraved.

Is this something that is commonly found, especially the engraved line? Maybe that's why it was marked by the detector pen?

What do you think it is worth by the way if anything?

Thanks so much!

Edited by thesuze
07/12/2018 10:23 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16677 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Photos would help with what your saying.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2012 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  09:18 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chances are that the pen mark is a coin roll hunter's mark.
People who search coins often mark them to track if they are getting the same coins over and over
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14054 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The line looks like it may be a strike through buthte image isn't good enough.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
4288 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better pics needed to see if the indentation is a strikehthrough or PMD. The black mark is PMD.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
5321 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The marks in the neck you are seeing are likely damage from being circulated. And the mark is as BigSilver said - likely from a roll hunter. If a person starts to roll hunt halves, they multiples of see all sorts of these marks.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Learn More...
United States
58002 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
785 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd go with coin roll hunter's mark.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
3386 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spend it.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...reluctantly

Roll hunting since '77
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26718 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kinda agree.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2861 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to Community.

I agree it is a spender.
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely PMD, but it's good to know there are still half dollars out there circulating. We need more of them!
I never met a man I didnít like - Will Rogers
I never met a half dollar I didnít like - DeputyMax
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8314 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF! I agree with the others that it's a Coin Roll Hunter's mark.
Errors and Varietys.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05