Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hello all, new collector looking for some guidance  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  09:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 007harley to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've developed a sincere interest in historic U.S. Coins. Indian Head Pennies, Buffalo nickels, Liberty nickels Liberty Quarters and Half Dollars etc. The coins are mainly for viewing (I'm not a rich investor). Can anyone give me some guidance on specific coins I could start building my collection with that don't cost a fortune. This will help me focus on a few coins that I can collect and learn about. I do like the Walking Liberty half dollar, Standing Liberty quarter, Barber quarter and Liberty nickel. However, it's hard to find Barber quarters or Liberty nickels in good condition at a reasonable price. Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated. Have a nice day.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3882 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Valued Member
Canada
121 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi 007harely and welcome to the forum. If I were you, I would search the coins you have using the "Numismatic Search Engine" on the left sidebar. Also, just keep perusing the " US coins" section on this site. You've come to the right place for free info.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8828 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum

Hang out in the right forums you're interested in. A wealth of info can be learned from the postings both current and past.

Check the sales portion here (you'll need 50 posts to buy) or check our members on eBay and on the other coin book site I can't mention () for coins you're interested in.

Learn, read, did I say read, a lot of info about grades, types, Key dates, varieties...a vast amount but thoroughly enjoyable. I do suggest, being on a budget, you pick one or two series to tackle at first. Indian Head cents is a good one, Buffalo and Liberty V's are good, but can get pricey in the low mintage/key dates...both tho are fairly reasonable. Jump in, the water's fine!

Edited by Crazyb0
07/12/2018 12:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5321 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Barber coins, SLQs, and V nickels were heavily used for years. These series are known for most of them being in worn condition. That is why coins form these series that are in good condition are higher priced.

As to finding some of the others you mention such as WLHs, if you have a local coin shop, ask them if you can sort through and buy from their junk silver. Junk silver does not mean physically damaged as the term refers to common dates worth only melt value. You could likely pick up some WLHs this way.

Just for fun I once asked if I could swap a roll of 90% Kennedy halves for a roll of 1942 WLHs the owner had in the melt pile. He said they were both melt anyway so we did it.

You will pay somewhat of a premium above melt value, obviously the shop owner has to make something to keep the business going. So make sure you know what silver coins spot price is when you go. A good way is by using google to find a silver melt calculator.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Learn More...
United States
58002 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
578 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverTracker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF Family..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1428 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the family!

Ditto on what all have already suggested. Watch, read, ask, learn & research. A huge library of information here already and in Google.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2266 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  06:44 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum. You’ve come to a phenomenal place to share and learn.
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05