Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1853 Braided Hair Half Cents - Fakes?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3011 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:02 pm Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I bought these on eBay from the same seller. He has a lot of positive feedback (thousands). They were at auction, and I won them for about $40 a piece.

As I was 'conserving' them with acetone (because they seemed to have lacquer), I realized they looked a little weird.

What do you think?

Coin # 1

Coin # 2

My name is Devin, and I have been collecting now for around 3 1/2 years. I love all US coinage. I set up at coin shows and sell on eBay with my dad
Visit my website:
https://www.InGodWeTrustCoinsAndCurrency.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
8492 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What did they look like prior to conserving them?
Member SSDC
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28267 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin has been lacquered, and much of it is still clinging to the surface.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3011 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the sellers pics before conservation. I stopped when I first thought they looked weird.

Coin # 1

Coin # 2

My name is Devin, and I have been collecting now for around 3 1/2 years. I love all US coinage. I set up at coin shows and sell on eBay with my dad
Visit my website:
Pillar of the Community
United States
7147 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost looks like acid coins. I suppose it could be lacquer remnants clinging to them...
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Edited by 52Raymo
07/12/2018 6:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3011 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After closer inspection of coin # 1, the weird waviness I am seeing only appears where the 'lacquer' is.
Visit my website:
Pillar of the Community
United States
8492 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it looks like someone aggressively removed corrosion.
Member SSDC
Pillar of the Community
United States
7147 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you try gently rubbing the wrinkly spots with a q-tip while in acetone ?
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28267 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's simply coagulated lacquer sitting on the surface and distorting the appearance. A 10-minute soak in lacquer thinner followed by water and acetone rinses should restore the coin. NO rubbing!
Edited by Coinfrog
07/12/2018 8:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3011 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did you try gently rubbing the wrinkly spots with a q-tip while in acetone ?

All I got to do was rub a q-tip over the coins with acetone.

Later tonight I will give them an acetone soak. I don't have lacquer thinner.
Visit my website:
Edited by coinlover1899
07/12/2018 8:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3011 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Started the acetone soak just a second ago.
Visit my website:
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3011 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far, not any difference.
Visit my website:
Pillar of the Community
United States
2117 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These coins were damaged before the acetone soak. I would be surprised if acetone made any improvement.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3011 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  12:34 am  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still no difference.

Does anyone think they are counterfeit?
Visit my website:
Pillar of the Community
United States
8492 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still think they were heavily corroded, aggressively cleaned and artificially colored.
Member SSDC
Pillar of the Community
United States
5603 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt these are fakes. Looks like it could either be the lacquer distorting the surfaces, damage from the lacquer, a harshly cleaned and recolored coin that originally had corrosion, etc.

As a last resort, try some lacquer thinner and then an acetone soak/rinse as Coinfrog said.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05