Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Big Fat Rim on this 2005 Quarter, Squished Beads, Mint Error or PMD

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2060 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Check out the pics and tell me if you think it could have been done
at the mint. It could have been a pipe that squished the beads. But
that fat rim...

RCNA Member
APNA Member
CNCC Member
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1490 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen something very similar on a roll fresh MS 1965 5 cents. Something from the mint I think. I will get a picture tomorrow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7803 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could it possibly be damage from a roll crimper?
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1490 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my 1965 5 cents. It came from a roll with quite a few of these. Definitely from the mint. Some of them had the beads pushed into the rim like this one. Some had a line through the beads like the coin above.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11959 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting for sure!
Errers and Varietys
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4636 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not quite sure what could cause this Don, but great photography.
Makes it easy to see what you are talking about.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2060 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jimmy it is strange.
When my wife looked at it she said look at this one, I said
hmmm. Got out the loupe and noted the beads and rim.
Could it be a striking error, weight appears within
tolerances. Reeded edge says it was struck in collar.
Wonder if the die could have been deteriorated enough to
make a fat rim and messed up beads.

The 2005 weighs 4.48 grams.
The 2013 weighs 4.50 grams.
Leuchtturm Libra Mini Scale.
Coins and Canada says 4.4 grams for this coin.
RCNA Member
APNA Member
CNCC Member
Edited by SilverDon
07/13/2018 6:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4027 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dies are close to their last strikes, worn to a point of slipping in the collar, causing a slight off struck
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31829 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it look more like the die had grease in it and they wiped the die down, forcing the remaining grease into the outside edges of the die. Thus the inside edges show some design, but the outside edges prevented the strike. That is what I see. Some images are showing damage to the fields inside the bead area as already mentioned.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2060 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some close ups of the beads in different areas.

Thanks Coop for the expert opinion.

It is a messed up strike.

RCNA Member
APNA Member
CNCC Member
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7803 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  01:46 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone care to entertain the possibility of damage from a machine? That's what it looks like to me.
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

Pillar of the Community
United States
9883 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  03:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm breaking my vow...I will comment on this post in a Canadian forum, last ventures north of the border have been abysmally met with Canuck rancor. Based upon those last pix posted Spruett001 has nailed it with his first comment previously stated. This is an indention caused by the metal arm of a coin wrapping machine or other similar device. There is a vague possibility as Coop has stated that this was a grease fill, this isn't...those other coins may have been, not this one
Edited by Crazyb0
07/15/2018 03:37 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7803 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  03:56 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for some grounding, Crazyb0. The second pic in the most recent post shows a circumferential scrape across the coin. Actually, all the pics show that; the second is just the most clear. Grease doesn't like to form thin lines, especially if it is supposed to form a pattern.

There is an open suggestion that this a Mint error of some sort and I am hard-pressed to find a cause of it.

-Lib Dooley

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
880 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canacoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was wondering bout ya CrazyB0 , sorry to here that. Agree with you and spruett.
Have seen this on occasion in many denom's .
Always thought it looked like the coin had spun and something dragged on it.
"If you going to err,do it with flair . That way you'll remember and not repeat the mistake"

W.R.Robertson
R.I.P.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7803 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2018  12:34 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am curious, though, about Smallcentguy's coin. The pics are pretty fuzzy, but it seems to be affected in a different way.

@Smallcentguy

Do you have any closeups or clearer pics of the coin you posted earlier?
-Lib Dooley

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11959 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spruett001, I thought it was damaged from a machine as well, but didn't say it.
Errers and Varietys
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05