Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With A 1893 Morgan S

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  3:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tnvol to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm not a coin collector but for the past couple of days I have been investigating into this coin. I found it in my dad's dresser drawer. I know, it's like the 57 Chevy that's been in the old lady's barn. He past away last month at the age of 90. I would give anything if I could ask him about the coin. He never showed or told me about it, probably because he thought it was just an old dollar coin. More than likely it was my grandfather's. My mom, also 90, knows nothing about it. I would love to be able to ask my dad about it.

So, I'm not sure what to do now. I know I would like to find out it's worth. Not sure I would want to sell it, especially if it came from his dad. Looks like, from the info I've been gathering I need to get it to PCGS or NGC for authentication.

Where do I start to get that done?

I am taking it by a local coin dealer tomorrow just to get some advise there. There was also a 1896 Morgan O and an old half dollar in the drawer too.

I must say I see where coin collecting can be very interesting and exciting. I got chills when I got on google and realized what I had found. I can't imagine this being fake because it's been in his drawer for so many years.....right?

Thanks for any help....
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12775 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fire A.J. Preller
Pillar of the Community
Canada
7318 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before taking to a coin dealer, post a photo of the obverse and reverse (cropped and right side up).
There will be someone here you can authenticate it and perhaps give you a grade.
Counterfeiters have been around for a long time so age doesn't really mean too much.

Also to the CCF
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just one example of how counterfeiters make these... they will change an 1898s to an 1893s by manipulating the last number...

https://www.NGCcoin.com/news/articl...rgan-dollar/

United States
36 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tnvol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
United States
79239 Posts
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tnvol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jbuck
Pillar of the Community
United States
2432 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks genuine as the date is in the correct position and the raised 3. I would grade at F12 or F15. You need to check the die markers. In the left leg of the R in Liberty there are two rabbit ears. In the T there is a slant line. Attached photo for your use.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if what appear to be rim bumps and light scratches would limit this to a details grade. OP, whatever you do, do NOT attempt cleaning of any kind!
Edited by jimbucks
07/13/2018 5:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2432 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not clean the coin as it will lose value. I am sure your dad knew what he had. The coin is the key business date for the Morgan dollars. If you find the rabbit ears and the slant on the T, I am certian the coin is genuine.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
7318 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks genuine.
Being a key date, it is well worth it to get it slabbed.
Show us pictures of the other two coins (In separate posts)
that you have.
Your photography is certainly decent enough and we like pictures.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9083 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Slider, If the bunny ears are there it is no doubt genuine. Start a new thread for the other coins you came across as well. There are some interesting possibilities for that 1896-o.
Member SSDC, TNA
Edited by dave700x
07/13/2018 5:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding getting it slabbed, you are best advised to go with either PCGS or NGC.
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tnvol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. So I guess I'll take it to the coin shop and get them to look for the rabbit ears and marking in the T. I will not sell it to them no matter what they offer.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42802 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm more in the VG-10 camp, but it does appear genuine to me.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
07/13/2018 6:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a textbook VG-10 to me.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05