Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Seated Dollar Surface Condition & Opinions

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1466 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  12:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I ran into straight graded Seated dollar with unusual patina on obv. I want to hear your opinions on what caused the coin's patina, do you like or dislike it, and if this coin warrants a straight grade.

"Completed Dansco 7070 US type album. Upgrades to come"
http://goccf.com/t/325884

If you SEE a post milestone, 250, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10K+, click below.
http://goccf.com/t/316031#2688706
Pillar of the Community
United States
1403 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a fan. Obverse isn't the best, but the reverse is definitely cleaned. Low eye appeal for me. Personally i'd grade it XF Details.
Edited by Ploopy
07/19/2018 1:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse isn't unusual. The reverse has been cleaned.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's not a chance my grading company would straight-grade it, if I had one.

I could see the obverse naturally toning prior to the reverse, under the right conditions, and it doesn't necessarily look completely out of the ordinary to me. However, that would mean it was exposed for a long time when the reverse wasn't at all, and as a result there wouldn't be patchy areas of very dark toning as seen on the reverse. The conclusion is the coin has been cleaned in the past, likely because it was the reverse which toned more darkly, and I'm again clueless as to how PCGS came up with what they did. The technical grade is a tad generous, as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8712 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse has been cleaned and is market acceptable. Not a fan.
Edited by SilverDollar2017
07/19/2018 1:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm again clueless as to how PCGS came up with what they did. The technical grade is a tad generous, as well.

Happens all the time in this series. Market acceptable.

BTW: Welcome back Super Dave!

Where you been, man? Mountain climbing in the swiss alps?
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9019 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I were to submit a Morgan dollar with this type of surfaces it would surely be body bagged (old term) Are Seated dollars getting this big of a pass?
Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are Seated dollars getting this big of a pass?

YES! and for many years!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41242 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree it's market acceptable and that you see this sort of thing commonly, but it's not a coin I'd want to own.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7706 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not care for the high point wear color of the coin. I believe that the coin had a nice overall patina but then was reintroduced into commerce for a brief time and the high points tone wore off. There are quite a few silver coins with this type of tone removal through circulation or other handling.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1466 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a fan of this coin either.

I've been looking to fill last two 7070 holes for the last 9 months, both of which are Seated dollars.

Two trips to Long Beach coin shows were fruitless, over priced and few selections. I did meet a gentleman who had albums of Seated dollars and was overwhelmed with the number of Seated dollars. But he came from Seated dollar club and coins were not for sale.

Looked at thousands of eBay coins, but did not find one that I liked without paying high retail dollars. Couple of HA did not pan out either.

Didn't realize Seated dollars are this difficult.

"Completed Dansco 7070 US type album. Upgrades to come"
http://goccf.com/t/325884

If you SEE a post milestone, 250, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10K+, click below.
http://goccf.com/t/316031#2688706
Pillar of the Community
United States
7706 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking Seated dollars do command some strong prices.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12450 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. Looked at thousands of eBay coins, but did not find one that I liked without paying high retail dollars. Couple of HA did not pan out either.

Didn't realize Seated dollars are this difficult.

It's definitely not a series where you're going to find bargains on the premium or nicer examples. Buyers will have to pay up for those or make some quality concessions.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17350 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In a word. Yuck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

It's definitely not a series where you're going to find bargains on the premium or nicer examples. Buyers will have to pay up for those or make some quality concessions.

I just got a sweet Seated dollar today with super surfaces and original toning. Wasn't cheap but worth it for a nice coin. I'd rather pay up for quality myself.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12450 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just got a sweet Seated dollar today with super surfaces and original toning. Wasn't cheap but worth it for a nice coin. I'd rather pay up for quality myself.

Completely agree and congrats on the new pickup
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05