Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 (Lwc) Bronze Mint Error?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,178Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2018  11:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Willyt22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Hello all hope you are having a great night! Anyway I was going through some coin rolls I purchased at an auction and found a 1944 Wheat penny that might have been struck on the wrong planchet, any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2018  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willyt22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Staff edit - Corrected picture links

Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
Learn More...
United States
14451 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2018  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I corrected your image links in the second post. I believe those where the images you were trying to post.
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2018  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's not Bronze. That looks like a plated coin.
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2018  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eaten away, whether intentional with acid or buried in acidic soil like a garden or hog farm...
Edited by Crazyb0
08/07/2018 12:10 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
508 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2018  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jst1dreamr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Acidic hog farm, kinda takes away the desire for a good ham sandwich.

Quote:
Eaten away, whether intentional with acid or buried in acidic soil like a garden or hog farm..
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2018  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's just a damaged coin unfortunately. It's Post Strike Damage (it happened after it left the U.S. Mint). It's only worth Copper melt value at this point.
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2018  04:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Willyt22. The experts are on the spot on their assessments. To satisfy your curiosity, with you thinking it's a wrong planchet, try using a magnet. If your coin sticks to the magnet, you have a wrong planchet. Furthermore, weigh the coin, if it's in the 2.5 grams range then you have a wrong planchet. Otherwise, choose where to put the coin & hunt for more....choices...choices....hope to help.... enjoy the hobby...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47738 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2018  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crazy: Whats wrong with pigs?

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2018  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just PMD, acid damage.

Coop -
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2018  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NLL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the coin spent time in acid. That would account for the low weight.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2018  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willyt22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much for the editing and the evaluation I'm still working on posts! But I was wondering what the letters and numbers close to rim on the reverse and what appears to be a head and shoulders around the N in CENT on the reverse also? Any thoughts.
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2018  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But I was wondering what the letters and numbers close to rim on the reverse and what appears to be a head and shoulders around the N in CENT on the reverse also? Any thoughts.

That's all damage unfortunately. This coin has had a very rough life.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2018  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willyt22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thanks a lot for taking a look and I'm still happily hunting!
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2018  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're very welcome and no problem! I'm glad to help. I'm also glad that you're still happily hunting.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,178Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05