Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1849 Shilling with nice Die crack on A

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
11 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  09:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Digs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Could I get some opinions on grade and value? Thank you!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2215 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  10:08 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow triple rotated clashes. And a broke up die about the A. Very interesting coin. EF40 cleaned in my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1216 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
aEF in my opinion. Possibly cleaned but hard to say from the photos.
Nice coin anyway - pre-1870s British silver isn't usually this well preserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3133 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2018  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find and great add to a collection
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Valued Member
United Kingdom
104 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2018  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

As to value - difficult to be precise. I can see one much worse recently sold for 34, and another in similar grade which was listed at 395 but accepted an offer less than that - we can't see what. My gut feel would be around the 100 mark.
Pity it is not 1850 - that is a key date and would make a lot more.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14855 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin even with the cleaning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3699 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I understand correctly, collectors in Europe are not into error coins nearly as much a North American collectors.
That would hold the value down from "across the pond".
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
205 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2018  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned NVF\VF die cracks mean nothing to English collectors as a general rule. The coinage of the era is full of them so it is just a normal process of the minting and die wear. Over dates and wrong letters re-punched with correct letters are sought after and many have huge premiums 35-50 ;)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05