Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which Coins Should I get from the Local Bank?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
69 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  9:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DeathSeeker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So basically I am trying to find some older coins from coin rolls, when I mean old I mean coins past 1964, such as wheat pennies, silver quarters, dimes, and nickels, basically anything older than 1964. Also I'm looking for old old coins such as Indian heads, and stuff like that. This is my first time going to the bank for coins so I want you guys to help me out and figure out what I should get!
Thanks so much

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
3366 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You will not be able to get wheaties,silvers and pre 64 coins from the bank, you might once in a while find a wheatie here and there but your source to get these type coins would be either your local coin shop,or online such as eBay.
You can get rolls from the bank in any denomination and they will be varied dates and mintmarks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8918 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well not to sound to harsh but ; I think the bank your looking for is e-bay . Only Cents and Nickels will get you a few coins before 1964 from the Bank . In my opinion don't bother with Dimes ,Quarters ,and Halves from the bank unless you have the resources to pick up boxes at a time and have free time to search all those coins .
Other members will give you a different opinion .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeathSeeker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've heard that plenty of people managed to get old coins from rolls at the bank such as a 1908 dime.
Learn More...
United States
13312 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I moved your post to the appropriate section for the proper attention.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeathSeeker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks fuzz
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You want figures? OK here's some from my experience having got rolls/boxes from the bank(s) over the past four years.

560 Halves: 0-pre1965, 0-1965to70, no proofs or quality coins

1,260 Quarters: 0-pre1965, couldn't even put a nice State or Natl Park set together.

4 boxes Dimes: 1- Barber2-Mercs, 1-Roosie, 2-proofs

82,670 nickels: 3 Buffalos, 1-1938D, 1-1939S, 31 Silver nickels, 6 impaired proofs, 2-Black Beauties.

Over 1 Million Cents searched. Consistent average of 5-9 Wheat cents found, NO key or semi-key dates and very few non-common date (mostly 1940's P mint, 1950's D mint) I did find an 1886 Ty2 IH in a customer dump roll.

All Notable coins were found BEFORE 2016, after then has been wheat cents and war nickels is all.

CRHing is really only for the error and variety coins anymore. Unless you get boxes of halves directly from your bank delivered from a Fed "Re-distribution" center, you will not be getting much silver. The ONLY time tellers may have silver is a customer dump. Sweet-talk 'em!

As a final note: I have tossed more Dateless Buffalo and Liberty nickels and even a few Indian Head cents in my bank dumps than I have ever found!
Edited by Crazyb0
08/09/2018 10:41 pm
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My experience is somewhat similar to Crazyb's (above). Without knowing more about your approach to collecting and roll searching, I'd suggest you just pick up whatever rolls you can get at a bank or two and go through them to get a feel for what's possible and adjust your hunting from that. Where you're at geographically can make a difference--results from searching bank and customer rolls in the metro Los Angeles area over several years are likely to be a little different than searching rolls from Palisade, Nebraska over the same period of time.

Volume is a key factor--if you can afford to search dozens of boxes of all coin types weekly, you're more likely to find something that interests you than searching four or five rolls a month. I increased my roll searching volume significantly 10 years ago and still haven't uncovered anything magnificent other than four common Indian Head cents and a late 1930s coin from the Soviet Union. Have come across some BU 1950s wheat cents and few steelies; very little silver. I did find a DDO Bicentennial quarter in a customer roll a few years ago--after going through 100s and 100s of quarter rolls.

Wish you luck!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3494 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2018  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why not buy a few rolls of everything? I've been in the hobby since 1977, and from 2009 - 2014 I've found thousands of silver coins from bank rolls, including silvers from the 1800's. I wasn't big on searching cents, but did average 12 wheats per box. Keep in mind that the key to success is to search large volumes of coin. Not $50 here, $20 there, but in searching thousands of dollars per bank visits, if possible. That's what I did, using the same bank roll over and over. I spent maybe 3-4 hours per week searching those amounts, and dumping what was left. Good luck.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...reluctantly

Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Edited by fistfulladirt
08/12/2018 08:59 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8918 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2018  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fistfulladirt ; you have to realize not everyone has the resources or the time to do what you did .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
3494 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2018  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@T-BOP, I do realize that according to polls, a very large majority of Americans don't have an extra $500 in funds to cover an emergency expense. Try and save up till you do. Thats why I wrote "if possible". What's nice about roll hunting is that you are spending money, but getting most all of it back when you dump the rejects. As far as time, like I mentioned, it shouldn't take more than a few hours a week to search and dump a couple thousand in coin. Depending upon a collector's goals, one should able to search a grand in dimes in a hour or two, once you get good at it.

Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Edited by fistfulladirt
08/12/2018 10:13 am
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2018  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I've found very little silver while roll hunting--due in part to the region I live in (a few high-volume silver searchers in the area)--I've had decent luck getting silver from teller trays. When I'm transacting business with the teller I always eyeball the change tray. Over the years I've picked up many silver halves that way--some quarters too. I have noticed that some branches are beginning to remove trays from sight--some have removed them outright.

As others are saying, volume is key if you want high(er)-return results.
Edited by ijn1944
08/12/2018 11:06 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3494 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2018  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've mentioned this before, but another good way to find silver and older coins is by working a retail till. My 17 year old son, at his first job at Taco Bell in six months time, has found 6 silver dimes, 2 Buffalo nickels and about 20 wheats, a couple at least 100 yo. He has absolutely zero interest but knows his dad does.

Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
3494 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2018  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting handle.

Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2018  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Interesting handle.

Maybe he's an exterminator....

As to area, yes indeed but do realize that all coins are redistributed according to Fed Bank Regions so yes the chance of getting the same fair over again is quite slight. I had a running test for about 2 1/2 years where every box of nickels and cents I would mark at least 100-150 coins with a marker to see if I got any back again. I started in 2013 and to this day have found only two markers, and that was actually two weeks later from a bank that wrapped it's own rolls when it ran out of Fed Boxes, so a Customer wrap of sorts. Never have I found any others of the possible thousands circulating in Central Missouri and KC/STL region.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12936 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2018  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest getting a bank box of U.S. Pennies (that's what it says on the box), since it's the cheapest way to get good finds for face value, if you get lucky. It will cost 25 dollars to get one box. I have had great luck with most of the boxes, and have found Wheat Cents, Canadian Cents, and even sometimes Foreign coins as well.
Errers and Varietys.

More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950

Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05