Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2017 LSC spiked/speared shield  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
182 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wrongnumber to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not one to look at many shield cents but found this today. Some raised triangular like spikes coming off the top right & left side of shield. Not sure what kind of instrument or polishing technique would have caused this as they connect to the outside perimeter of the design. No sign of it through the shield itself but they line up straight along a business card. Also, looks like I may have some die trailing off of liberty? First time Iíve seen that in hand.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10251 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:50 am  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are indeed Trial Dies on "LIBERTY". On the reverse, you have Feeder Finger Damage. http://www.error-ref.com/die-scrapes/
Errors and Varietys, the CCF 911 responder and helper. ;-)
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  01:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wrongnumber to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the feeder finger scraped the die & that is then struck into many coins?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7873 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@WN, yes exactly. If you look at the link that E&V provided, there are some great details there.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wrongnumber to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I checked it, just breezed over the text to look at the pics & read after I posted.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10251 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  11:51 am  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a good example of Feeder Finger Damage/Scrapes. Maybe you can put it in a 2x2 for future reference.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31295 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the example I found the feeder finger scrapes were lower. (which can happen)

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/10/2018 12:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wrongnumber to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool, first time Iíve seen that in hand. Have a bunch of brand new 17/18 rolls but I donít want to open them ;)
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah. That seems to be the common spot to find them. I haven't come across one yet that was as extreme as the one coop posted though. I myself actually have been having more luck finding cool stuff on the shields because they obviously haven't been searched nearly as much. There's some cool things to look out for on them like a pretty severe clashed die, big die breaks, spiked heads, DD's, etc. A cool find nonetheless.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2018  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Achilles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found first one of these yesterday. I estimate I've looked through upward 5,000 2017 shield coins. Neat looking error.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4941 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2018  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They're caused by feeder finger die scrapes.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
934 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2018  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one just like it. No premium, just a cool cent to have.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10251 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2018  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Achilles, those are called Feeder Finger Scrapes.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2018  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Achilles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You mean to tell me 'Lincoln's Spiky Shield of Justice' isn't a cataloged error?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10251 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2018  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a form of Die Damage. Here's some information on it. http://www.error-ref.com/die-scrapes/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05