Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The most overused word when selling coins?  

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  05:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 4504 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Rare. Look, every seller has the right to list their coins the way they want. I am not against that in the least, except for the word "Rare". I come across listings all the time, I just saw a 9 sentence paragraph in which the seller mentions how "rare" the coin is 7 times.

Sometimes the coins are not that "rare", on some listing in which that word is used, there are sometimes 3-4 examples or more of the same exact coin.

One guy put his entire listing IN ALL CAPS, EVERY SINGLE WORD, and to make sure you got it he added numerous (3-4) exclamation points AFTER EACH SENTENCE as well. the word "RARE" was in nearly every sentence of course as well.

I personally have never used the word "rare" because of, in my opinion, of its overuse. I prefer to say "scarce" for rare coins and "very scarce" for REALLY rare coins.

It's none of my business of how sellers list their coin. I freely admit that. Its just irritating to me and I acknowledge that this irritation is just a personal fault of mine. I will say however that I tend to overlook such listings with such over-use of the word.

I am more than willing to admit that I am wrong with this viewpoint. I do pay more attention to the more modest seller listings that just list the facts, like Joe Friday of Dragnet. I can take the rare word several times but I just do not like it beaten into my head, especially if the coin is not really rare at all.

For myself, I consider a mintage of about 500 to be scarce and for mintages of 150 to be very scarce. This is my personal scale for modern world coins. I know that there are examples of older coins in which there may be an existence of only one or two or very few, these I consider to be "beyond very scarce" or "nearly one of a kind" or, yes, even "rare". I suppose that the phrase of "rare" or even "extremely rare" would be about the only time I consider the word rare to be appropriate in such examples.

Of course, there are the ones who claim their coin is "the only one on eBay". most of the time this is true (for now, but in a week another example is listed).

More and more, I find myself on sites other than eBay like great collections or stacks or Heritage where they are not as hysterical when listing the coins they have. I believe that true professionals know how to get the information out there by listing just a few key facts and leaves it up the buyer to make his own judgements and leaves it up to the buyer as to what "rare" means to each individual person.

I have catalogs and can go to sites like the NGC population page to find out how "rare" a coin actually is, keeping in mind that Krause often does not mention the mintage figures.

A bit of background is that I sometimes write movie screenplays, where brevity counts. Over 130 pages for a full length movie can make you a dead duck. I guess the hysterical listings would count as long books or novels. My postings here are fun for me to write, so I often go the longer book route.

That being said, am I alone on this or am I just a nit-picky nut who has no cause to even bring it up? I don't mind a bit of hostility here because I realize a lot of you are sellers who would resent my outlook on this. I once chided a seller for this and he banned me and I don't blame him, but I would never have bought a coin from him anyways. One or two "rares" is enough for me, but I would rather just have some facts to go along with it, which are often lacking in such listings. I mean no offense, believe me, even if you are one of "those guys".

mike
Pillar of the Community
United States
3706 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are not alone in your thoughts about this. You just have to wade through the muck.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2067 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  10:49 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you. I also tend to ignore listings that over promote themselves. Just like a fish that learned to ignore that squirming worm just sitting there for the taking.
It is bait. Intended to attract the less educated buyer.
I am curious what would happen if someone opened an "item not as described" case on eBay for a coin that is described as rare. Is there an objective definition to that word? Or is it just like saying beautiful. Which is in the eye of the beholder?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3085 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rare, UNC, and GEM...........

As you pointed out, 99.99% are NOT rare.

In my experience, 99.98% are NOT uncirculated OR gem.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4941 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know what you mean. Far too many sellers use the words "BU" "GEM BU" "CHOICE BU++++++++++++++++++" and "PQ+++". Most of the time, the coin is a polished AU or EF example, not even close to BU or Gem Uncirculated.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first impression always comes from the photos.

If the photos are good the seller usually avoids using such embellishments; they are unnecessary when the photos tell the whole story.

The only words a seller should use are ones that help the search... type, year, date, mint, composition, grade (where allowed), etc.
Valued Member
United States
242 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Check yellow88's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add yellow88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with all the above.

The OP made specific mention of world modern coins. I don't make to make a false assumption or mistaenly "put words in the OP's mouth" so I'll share my personal feeling on the topic.

modern coin + very low mintage (ex.150-500) + scarce/rare = little to no demand for the coin and the seller is employing an unethical marketing/sales tactic.

There are exceptions of course but I have found this to be the case more often then not.

So when I see the word(s) scarce, very scarce or rare in a listing for a modern coin it's an instant turn-off for me.

But when a see XTRA-SCARCE or MEGA-RARE being used I buy ASAP; no questions asked. *sarcasm ;-)
eBay ID: sellingsecretslegit

eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/globalcoinsandcollectibles/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10251 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, eBay sellers are always trying to find a way to attract less educated buyers to buy there "junk". Also that word "rare" is one of the most overused words ever. I agree with you that it's pretty annoying.
Errors and Varietys, the CCF 911 responder and helper. ;-)
Pillar of the Community
United States
8412 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But when a see XTRA-SCARCE or MEGA-RARE being used I buy ASAP; no questions asked. *sarcasm ;-)

Lol, especially if it's a BIN for 1 with more than 20 available. double
Member SSDC
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3822 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

4504 - I agree with you completely!

I get so annoyed with people describing coins with mintages in the millions or tens of millions as 'rare'!

The ultimate example of e-Bay stupidity is when I see a circulated British decimal one penny (which has the highest mintage figure in UK history - 1,521,666,250) described as 'Very Rare'... What amazes me is that some of the idiots who put these coins on e-Bay set ridiculous 'Buy It Now' prices, which presumably means they are paying for the listings!

Like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-ver...AOSwjOVbKYse
Edited by NumisRob
08/10/2018 1:18 pm
Valued Member
Canada
146 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NumisRob

That listing would be hilarious were it not intended to dupe. I always understood that "key" dates were the difficult to find dates if you were completing a date or type set... like a 1948 Canadian $1 or even a Kew Gardens 50p. The 1971 penny is a significant date as it marked the transition into decimal but as you say "key" it is not.

I have found "rare", "Scarce", "key", "Gem", "BU" and all of the other hyperbolic adjectives to be mostly misleading and I disregard them... (sort ov like the word of... anybody notice the misspelling earlier). When I look for coins on any auction site, It is typically targeted... e.g. 1887 Arabic 1 Proof Double Florin. I use these terms in the search and disregard the other words. It isn't as useful when trolling for finds but I tend not to do that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
770 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed hilarious.
And a bit perplexing in that the seller has repeatedly offered the same 4 items for sale over the last month, with no change in pricing strategy. Not the sharpest tool in the shed?

On eBay, it is caveat emptor for buyers, and "there's a sucker born every minute" for sellers.

(BTW, the seller is not paying for that listing. You get 50 free ones a month on eBay US, so I assume something similar in the UK).
Edited by tdziemia
08/10/2018 3:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1090 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LibertyEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
“Estate sale”. “Unsearched”
Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Lol, especially if it's a BIN for 1 with more than 20 available
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3822 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(BTW, the seller is not paying for that listing. You get 50 free ones a month on eBay US, so I assume something similar in the UK).

I don't know if it's the same for all British eBay sellers, but although I get 50 free listings a month, they charge me 50 pence if I want to specify a Buy It Now price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1348 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Super value"
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05