Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: What If? 1942 Sesquicentennial Of Kentucky Statehood

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,017Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2018  6:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I haven't posted a "What if?" story in quite some time, so.

In the years immediately following the July 4, 1776 approval of the Declaration of Independence by the Second Continental Congress, Virginia laid claim to a vast territory that extended west to the Mississippi River and north / northwest to the Great Lakes region. Its territorial claims included, in whole or in part, the present-day states of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, West Virginia, Wisconsin and, of course, Virginia.

Following the official end of the American Revolution in 1783 (via the Treaty of Paris), the US Government called upon its member states to relinquish their territorial claims west of the Appalachian Mountains and to turn the land over to the central government. It did so to avoid ongoing competing claims between existing states and to facilitate its regulation of the establishment of new states in the area. As more and more settlers were moving west at the time, future requests for statehood from those settling in the region was a foregone conclusion and having the land under a central authority would create the least complicated path to statehood.

In 1784, Virginia ceded its territory to the north and west of the Ohio River but held onto the land west of the Appalachian Mountains and south of the river stretching west to the Mississippi River; this tract included present-day Virginia, West Virginia and Kentucky.

After a roughly eight-year effort by its residents, the district (county) of Kentucky finally gained approval to be formally separated from the Commonwealth of Virginia; the measure was approved by the Virginia legislature on December 18, 1789. The legislature also supported the district's desire to become a new state. Following the legislature's actions, representatives of the Kentucky district petitioned the US Congress for statehood. The petition was positively received, and on February 4, 1791 the first US Congress passed an Act that recognized Kentucky as the 15th state - effective June 1, 1792.

Fast forwarding.

As the 150th anniversary of Kentucky's admission into the Union approached, its General Assembly created a Sesquicentennial Commission to plan and organize the state's anniversary celebrations. The use of public funds was not authorized, however, so the Commission was also tasked with raising the money it needed to carry out its mission. It worked with local committees across the state to stage parades, pageants, formal dinners and other commemorative events during the anniversary year of 1942.

In addition to securing donations and sponsors, the Commission raised funds through the publication and sale of two historical accounts of Kentucky: Sesquicentennial Stories and Kentucky in Retrospect: Noteworthy Personages and Events in Kentucky History, 1792-1942.

The Commission's fund-raising efforts also included seeking approval for a commemorative half dollar. To this end, it enlisted the assistance of Representative Virgil Munday Chapman (D-KY). Munday introduced the necessary coinage bill into the House of Representatives on February 27, 1942.

However, the Kentucky Commission faced an uphill battle to get its coin approved. By 1942, Congress had cooled significantly on the concept of issuing commemorative coins - the last commemorative coins authorized by Congress were the 1937 Battle of Antietam 75th Anniversary and the 1936 Norfolk Bicentennial half dollars which were both approved in June of 1937 (Yes, the 1936-dated Norfolk was approved and struck in 1937!). It is also worth noting that by February/March of 1942, the Mint was already engaged in developing potential new compositions for the five-cent piece so as to free up nickel for the war effort. Such activities were a much higher priority for the Treasury Department / US Mint than was the striking of commemorative coins!

Despite these obstacles, the Commission was not bashful in its request for a coin. Chapman's bill called for one million of the commemorative 50-cent pieces! The bill did not include language that would have limited where the coins could be struck, so it is likely the Commission would have asked for coins to be struck at Mint facilities in Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco to create more varieties for collectors. The bill specified that the coins were to be made available to the Sesquicentennial Commission of Kentucky for their use in funding their planned anniversary celebrations.

If the bill had gained any traction, it is very likely that the number of coins to be struck would have been greatly reduced by the House Committee on Coinage, Weights and Measures to which it was referred. Traction was not to be found, however, and the bill died quietly in Committee.

Though it missed out on an official US coin, the Kentucky Statehood Sesquicentennial was not completely bypassed by the Federal Government. The US Post Office issued a three-cent commemorative stamp on June 1, 1942 (the state's exact anniversary date); the stamp features a vignette of Daniel Boone (and others) looking out over the Kentucky River.

From my research, it appears the Commission did not pursue a privately-struck medal to aid in Kentucky's celebrations. I have not yet located any contemporary medal or token - or even a discussion of one in newspapers of the time! If someone knows differently, I'd love to hear about it!

Hope you enjoyed the story!

1942 Kentucky Statehood Sesquicentennial 3-cent Stamp

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
19640 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2018  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hope you enjoyed the story!

I did--thx for posting. Not my area of collecting, but really interesting nonetheless.

It does get me thinking what might have been the main design element of such a commemorative if it actually had been issued. I'm thinking that it likely wouldn't have been Daniel Boone due to the relatively recent (at that time) flap over his commemorative half dollars.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11032 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2018  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks commems. Great history lesson (did you double check your dates? ).

I have a lot of friends and family in KY. This would have been a great option for a gift.

Is that your stamp?
Edited by CelticKnot
08/24/2018 11:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4562 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2018  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great read commems
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2018  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing read - as we have come to truly enjoy from commems but always appreciate.

Thank you ... I always learn from your posts commems.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,017Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05