Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unique Serial Number

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
886 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2018  08:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mfhorn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After loosing one on eBay, I went looking for another, and found this one. It's at least 2 grades higher, and less money, than the one I lost on.
This is the only bank in this small Ohio town that issued Nationals; and only type 1 & 2's in $10 denomiations.
I'm sure there's not a BIG demand for them, but could the serial number be a deterrent in buying it?

Just curious; Who would decline buying ANY note with this serial number?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3137 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2018  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

A particular serial number would not stop me from buying a note. Many other factors would though, authenticity, eye appeal, condition, price, etc.

Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
421 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2018  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

The devil made them buy it...
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
Pillar of the Community
United States
1081 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2018  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add babysitr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, condition is not as big a factor in nationals as in other notes,but it is a factor. serials even less.the bank just issued the notes with no control over numbers. sounds like a scarce one. refer to Kelly book.. Your Hometown? one bank town? ect.ect. It's not in bad condition
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30283 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2018  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Handsome note, congrats!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1225 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2018  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

In my college days working at McDonald's, some people would add an order of fries or embiggen their drinks if their total came to $6.66 (which was not unusual at the time).

I am not in that category. Cool find!
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8807 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2018  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice note! The only 2 meaningful things about that serial number are it's 1) a repeater and 2) relatively low.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2527 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2018  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Serials really don't matter when it comes to collecting nationals, unless it's serial #1. Sometimes a serial #2 or #3 will commands slight premiums. A serial as your's would not bother me. If I needed that note for my collection and it was a good price, I would be buy it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2527 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2018  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This also may also be of interest to you, if you didn't already know.. This bank elected to only issues $10 notes. This note is a type 1 and they issued 1,608 sheets of these, which equates to 9,648 notes total. Your note was on sheet 666 and was the first note on a sheet of 6. 14 small notes are known, with all being type 1, except for one. This note is known and sold for $115 in 2002.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4368 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2018  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, I wouldn't decline to buy a note with this serial number if it was a bank I was seeking.

The other ten sold on eBay had serial number 1503 and was a Type-2. Could be that the winner was after a type-2 version because he or she already had a Type-1.

Edited: to add the sold listing number of the note which shows what a type-2 looks like and for images 362407683661

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Edited by MeadowviewCollector
08/25/2018 9:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6477 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2018  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice note indeed.

Wish I knew more about these - I'm still learning.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
63508 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2018  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

Quote:
I would not decline. Heck, I would likely seek it out.
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2018  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hozer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obviously you wanted and you got it, enjoy it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
886 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2018  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mfhorn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
refer to Kelly book.. Your Hometown? one bank town? ect.ect. It's not in bad condition

I do have the Kelly book, 6th edition. Not my hometown, but I serviced the Kroger store, (non-food section) as my first job out of high school in Blanchester; like 1967, and haven't been back since. This is the only bank that issued Nationals, and as WheatBack said, only $10's, Type 1 & 2. Back in the 20's and 30's it might have been the only bank in town. I found this one with a dealer on the West Coast.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I assumed there would be a few that would shy away from "666".
Pillar of the Community
United States
886 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2018  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mfhorn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The other ten sold on eBay had serial number 1503 and was a Type-2.

I believe that's the one I lost out on; came in with a bid just a tad low.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1543 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2018  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice note, interesting serial number. What are you grading this VF?

KK
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05