Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Garrette Auction US 1868 $5 Brass Pattern Coin New Collector

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2018  6:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dondon19268 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone Dondon19268 Here, New Collector From Way Up In Northern Maine. New to this forum stuff so bare with me, I am looking to obtain information about a coin sold in one of the Garrette Auctions way back when. The coin I am looking for information about (possible value, possible interest?) is a 1868 $5 Brass Pattern coin. laying/sitting lady front, eagle on back. if anyone could possibly supply answers it would be much appreciated.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24000 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2018  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Give it a bit and maybe a member can help you out.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8417 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2018  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dondon19268, first welcome to CCF. Second, just to clarify, are you looking for info about this exact coin or the pattern (Judd-627?) in general?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7159 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2018  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't seem to find an 1868 $5 (Half Eagle) Pattern resembling your description, nor anything matching it near that date in Garrett I / Garrett II catalogues.

Your description of the obverse makes me think more of some of the $1 patterns. Most of the 1868 $5 patterns featured left-facing busts. If you meant $0.50 (half dollar) that might also make more sense with lots of the Liberty Seated patterns coming to mind.

Pictures or a detailed description of what is on each side (including text) would be most helpful.

edit: Judd 656-659 are the dual-denomination 5 dollars/25 francs issues with bust left and wreath reverse; Judd 660 is the bust-left aluminum pattern for the regular 1868 $5, an example of which was in fact in Garrett as part of the complete 1868 aluminum proof set.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
08/27/2018 11:10 pm
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dondon19268 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@John1, @Spence I know for a fact that the coin I am referring to is a $5 coin somewhere in the middle of a dime and nickel in size, with the left facing bust and eagle on the back. the coin I am referring to is certified and graded authentic and again is a $5 BRASS pattern coin and the only one of its kind. a good friend of mine owns it, he bought it years ago in Memphis, TN the coin came with the certifying paperwork from the Garrette auctions. and I am looking for info about the coin and possible value. I know what it was bought for $xx,xxx but may only be valuable to the biggest of pattern coin collectors as per fact it is one of a kind.

Learn More...
United States
61315 Posts
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dondon19268 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john1 , @Spence ,

that is a picture of the Coin I am talking about and I found that picture at the below link.

http://uspatterns.stores.yahoo.net/j592p656.html

EXCEPT..... the coin I have seen that is owned by a friend is a $5 pattern coin, bronze or Brass and the year is 1868. please let me know what you think or what anybody on here thinks.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dondon19268 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

ATTENTION ATTENTION hahahah I stand corrected the above picture is a picture of the exact pattern coin owned by a friend. so now that we know that what can anyone tell me about it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7159 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it.

That is Judd 778, an 1869 pattern in brass which paired a modified obverse of the nickel three-cent coin (note the STAR on the Coronet) with a pre-1866 half eagle ($5 gold) reverse.

Only one of these is known to have been struck. It is speculated by Pollock & Judd that it may have been struck exclusively for a private collector.

The coin's pedigree indicated it came from the collection of Sylvester Crosby (author of Early Coins of America) on its way to the Garrett cabinet.

It sold in March 1980 in Garrett II for $8,000, a decent sum at the time. Plate #1086.

It was described therein as being 67 grains in weight, and of brass composition: "Brilliant Proof with light coppery toning in areas. Not in full brilliance on the reverse due to striking."

I was unable to find any records of the coin being sold since 1980, so presumably it remains in the hands of the collector who bought it, or their estate, or is otherwise held privately. Your friend is very lucky to own such a numismatic treasure!
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
08/28/2018 5:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8417 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok wow, that is a pretty sweet coin @Dondon19268!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2018  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dondon19268 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all who have given any information about the topic coin, does anyone out there know it's worth? Or know someone or a place where the value could be said?
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2018  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dondon19268 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or any possible buyers out there?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14445 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2018  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No one can really say what it is worth. It's unique and it hasn't sold for 38 years and has sold only once in probably over 100 years. It has no track record, only a single data point. Are there possible buyers out there? Sure there are and if it is put up in a publicized auction by a major house they will come bid on it, but they won't advertise what they would be willing to pay ahead of time. Why tip off any potential competition? The price it would bring is a big unknown until the hammer falls.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4341 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

As usual I am late to the party. Not much I can add since the pattern has been id'd. It was offered for sale by Central Lake Coins on eBay in 2016.

http://uspatterns.com/j778p860.html

And it appears that this could be a fantasy pattern struck outside the US Mint http://uspatterns.com/groupofrespa.html

Interesting piece that I agree hard to place a value until it hits the market.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2018  01:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sheldon Overton Baby to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dondon19268

If somebody had possible interest in buying this coin how can we reach you as you have PM's turned off?
Learn More...
United States
61315 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2018  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Or any possible buyers out there?

Quote:
If somebody had possible interest in buying this coin how can we reach you as you have PM's turned off?
Remember, we have rules!

Buy/Sell/Trade Rules
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05