Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 American Legion Commemoratives

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar of the Community
United States
1070 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2018  6:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Mint has released the line art designs for next year's American Legion commemoratives

Gold Half Eagle
obverse
reverse

Silver Dollar
obverse
reverse

Clad Half Dollar
obverse
reverse

I like that there are different designs for each coin. The line art looks okay to me. We'll see how it translates to struck coins
Edited by BadDog
08/29/2018 6:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2018  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Landude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do like what is going to be on the gold Half Eagle. Sigh.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12245 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2018  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The gold one looks like it could be very nice. The silver dollar looks pretty good too. I don't like the half dollar obverse at all
Pillar of the Community
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2018  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the half eagle looks like it could be a stunning commem.

The Silver Dollar design looks good too. I am not sure the half obverse will come across well once it is struck. But we shall see.

Thanks for posting BadDog
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
United States
1070 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2018  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't like the half dollar obverse at all

I agree that it is probably the weakest of the 6 designs, but it seems like the clad half dollars have always been a bit directed at kids (Young Collector's sets) so I kind of get it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1070 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2018  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am not sure the half obverse will come across well once it is struck

I think this year's Breast Cancer commemorative gives an indication of how it might work out. Recall the line art

and the coin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12245 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2018  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I agree that it is probably the weakest of the 6 designs, but it seems like the clad half dollars have always been a bit directed at kids (Young Collector's sets) so I kind of get it.

Which honestly I think is a mistake if they are intentionally targeting kids with the half dollars. Also I don't think a picture of kids would draw kids in in all honesty.

That one to me was someone trying to make a political statement trying to force kids into something that doesn't fit. Now if they did want to do a unique take on it they should have done the American Legion Baseball league angle as that is a very well known league that has produced some HOF MLB players.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2018  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The gold and silver do look promising.

I think the authorizing legislation should have left off the half dollar denomination. The cost will likely be increased from the price point of this year's offering and my prediction is it won't sell well.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2018  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like these. I haven't added a new gold or silver commemorative to my collection in a few years. This streak may be about to break.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9925 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2018  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The gold and silver are striking designs. These are winners in my book.
Learn More...
United States
74827 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2018  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The gold one looks like it could be very nice. The silver dollar looks pretty good too. I don't like the half dollar obverse at all
I agree.

I cannot afford gold, but that Silver Dollar might be a get.

The half dollar obverse will look even worse once stuck. Bad Dog's example should make that clear. I do not care much for the reverse either. I get what they are doing, looking up at the flag, but I think it could have been rendered better.
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2018  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trobbi33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The gold half eagle might be my first ever gold coin!! I grew up going to the Legion as a kid and now I am a member as an adult. I will probably get the silver dollar but I'll pass on the half.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9925 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2018  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

That is a great reason to nab your first gold coin.

Just be careful... one you get one, it's a slippery slope....
Pillar of the Community
United States
892 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2019  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Mint has now posted images of the coins, and my initial thoughts are that the designs translated well to these digital images. Of course we'll have to wait and see them in hand, but I'll be purchasing one of the uncirculated dollars. If I had the means to purchase the half eagle I would. What do you all think?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1070 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2019  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still like them all

Shows the benefit of different designs versus a single design like this year's Apollo and last year's BCA coins.

These will outsell the BCA coins without a doubt. Probably won't outsell the Apollo coins due to the theme and the curved coin, but I like these designs better than the Apollo design
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2019  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterJ616 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These will be a perfect gift for my dad this year! I will probably try to get at least one for myself too.
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05