Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 American Legion Commemoratives

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10
48 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2020  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smile4art to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks CollegeBarbers

So we have a new king for modern commemorative coins, the Legion gold UNC with 2929.
Boys Town gold UNC has 2947 coins sold.

As mentioned before I believe the Legion coin had exceptional reasons being so low, like no publication of sales numbers since Nov. 3rd and the Apollo series.
Edited by smile4art
01/04/2020 10:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1152 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the Coin World article is reporting sales totals for particular products, and not total mintage, when it comes to the proof coins. For example, the article doesn't indicate the sales totals for US Mint products 19XA1-19XA5 which will increase the mintages for the coins included in those products.

It's also unclear to me how the proof Apollo Half Dollars that were included in the various foreign mint products are being reported. The Australian product had a limit of 10,000 and the Spainish product had a limit of 5,000, so I'm guessing that 15,000 coins should be added to whatever sales the Mint eventually reports?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6044 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had placed an order for the uncirculated $5 American Legion coin after Christmas and now the mint shows the order canceled. Disappointed
Pillar of the Community
United States
930 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It looks like the Coin World article is reporting sales totals for particular products, and not total mintage, when it comes to the proof coins.

It appears that the sales totals in the article represent individual coins/products sold by the Mint, so the foreign products aren't included in those numbers.

Quote:
I had placed an order for the uncirculated $5 American Legion coin after Christmas and now the mint shows the order canceled. Disappointed

Did you receive an order confirmation when you placed your order? howell1018 mentioned earlier in this thread that the uncirculated half eagle was labeled "currently unavailable" on December 26.
48 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smile4art to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most BU versions were sold as single and they mostly had lower mintages than their proof versions.

if I'm not wrong for modern commemorative coins:
lowest mintage half dollar is Breast Cancer Awareness BU 11,301 (if there are no substantial returns for Legion half BU, only 129 difference)
lowest mintage $1 silver is Boys Town BU 12,234
lowest mintage $5 gold is Legion BU 2,929
Edited by smile4art
01/05/2020 8:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1234 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My wife picked up the Apollo 11 and the American legion clad .50 cent. Otherwise I would never have gotten it. I honestly don't like the design but it looks better on the coin compared to the actual drawing. I was at the LCS and the latest commemoratives have sold very badly. He is paying spot for the dollars and less for the .50 cents. There is no interest at his store. I'm thinking long term hopefully this is the next Hawaii :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
6044 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
collegeBarber, ordered on 12-26 with a confirmation email.
Pillar of the Community
United States
930 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
collegeBarber, ordered on 12-26 with a confirmation email.

Wow, that's a shame. I guess the Mint reserves the right to cancel an order before it charges the customer, but as you said it's still disappointing. Have you contacted the Mint about this?
48 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smile4art to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

@muddler I hope you could purchase one. Pinehurst Coins on ebay had many perfect NGC graded and sold 43 coins alone this new year for $585 with make offer option. Now they have doubled the price to $1185 for the last remaining coins. GovMint still has raw coins for 480-495 with free shipping.
Edited by smile4art
01/08/2020 9:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2052 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  09:14 am  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I bought the last one from GOVMINT this morning. I tried to buy 2 but it only let me buy one. Thanks smile4art for the heads up!
48 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smile4art to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bandsdean: great that you could buy the last one.
Now waiting for the official sales numbers from the US Mint. I think there will be some changes, because of returns... ^^
48 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smile4art to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now it's official. Sales numbers published on US Mint site.

Slightly changes for Legion coins:
GOLD PROOF 3190
GOLD UNC 2927
SILVER PROOF 44018
SILVER UNC 13789
CLAD PROOF 18811
CLAD UNC 11430
COIN & MEDAL SET (Proof) 9888
3-COIN SET (Proof) 7451
PROOF $5 GOLD COIN AND EMBLEM PRINT 277
PROOF SILVER DOLLAR AND EMBLEM PRINT 1788
PROOF CLAD HALF DOLLAR AND EMBLEM PRINT 1026

GOLD UNC with 2927 coins sold is still lowest mintage of modern commemorative coins.
(interesting fact is by Dec. 29th 2019, 3090 gold unc coins have been sold and then many returned/cancelled with 2927 coins left)
Edited by smile4art
01/21/2020 11:47 am
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05