Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 American Legion Commemoratives

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2019  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I like buildings on coins. Not all are done well, but this one is, and even though it is a foreign building, it's representative of how and where the American Legion was formed. I'm looking forward to getting one when my finances are settled following a rough tax season.

The clad... it's been a long time since I saw a clad design I liked. I'm not terribly fond of this one, but I appreciate the attempt to show the diversity of our population. As much as I see comments on here about how important it is to bring more people into the hobby, I also see comments about not liking topics or representations that seem likely to attract those people. It's a shame.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2019  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Camel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not terribly fond of this one, but I appreciate the attempt to show the diversity of our population. As much as I see comments on here about how important it is to bring more people into the hobby, I also see comments about not liking topics or representations that seem likely to attract those people. It's a shame.

Agreed 110% my coin collecting friend.
Learn More...
United States
70746 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... I appreciate the attempt to show the diversity of our population. As much as I see comments on here about how important it is to bring more people into the hobby, I also see comments about not liking topics or representations that seem likely to attract those people. It's a shame.
Well said.
Pillar of the Community
United States
919 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The proof silver dollar is now on back order with an expected back in stock date of 8 Jul. The last sales report indicated 30,457 sold (individually + 3 coin set).

This coin has been available for 5 weeks (released on March 14th) and is already on back order

2019 ASEs are currently sold out (according to APMEX) as well. So, maybe something is going on in the supply chain for the .9993 Ag stock?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4602 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  09:08 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It now seems to be a common event that the blanks can't keep up with sales but I would not use the term "sold out". I would instead use "currently unavailable". Sold out has a finality to it.....

Edit to add: Maybe they have re-directed blanks to strike the W ASE that will be released in 5 weeks
Edited by Foxwoods Man
04/18/2019 09:11 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
919 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...I would instead use "currently unavailable". Sold out has a finality to it.....

now if we could only get APMEX to agree with us
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The type of "diversity" displayed by the Half Dollar will fail to popularize coin collecting amongst the individuals pictured. It failed miserably with the Booker T. Washington and Carver/Washington designs despite dozens of issues at far lower relative prices (50 cents over face initially). History will likely repeat itself with these. Jackie Robinson held the title of lowest mintage half eagle for decades.
Edited by freddo30
05/07/2019 10:10 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
814 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  08:23 am  Show Profile   Check omxfl's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Details for the American Legion 100th Anniversary 2019 Proof Silver Dollar and Medal Set have now been added:
https://catalog.usmint.gov/american...et-19CQ.html

Mintage Limit: 400,000 silver dollar, 10,000 silver medal
Product Limit: 10,000
Household Order Limit: 1
Price: $99.95
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With that limit on the medal and the subject matter it will be a near instant sell out.
Learn More...
United States
70746 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Details for the American Legion 100th Anniversary 2019 Proof Silver Dollar and Medal Set have now been added:
Okay, this I like. Might have to make room for it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9480 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, this one is nice. If I had known about this set, I probably wouldn't have ordered the proof silver dollar by itself. Oh well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
919 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks nice, but
- it's not a coin
- nothing on it shows in any way that it is a US Mint medal, it looks like any other bullion Ag round
- at $45 for 1 ozt of Ag (3x current Ag spot) it's expensive Ag (even more over priced than the already expensive President Ag medals)

so it's not for me

The 10,000 production limit may very well sell out. Once again, by pairing the medal with the proof commemorative coin, it will provide a boost to the commemorative sales. This seems to be becoming a routine sales tactic by the Mint to increase commemorative dollar sales.
Edited by BadDog
05/07/2019 2:07 pm
Learn More...
United States
70746 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yeah, this one is nice. If I had known about this set, I probably wouldn't have ordered the proof silver dollar by itself. Oh well.
Yes, now I am glad I did not get the dollar when it came out.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05