Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Whitman Vs Dansco Albums

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
United States
79271 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Jbuck...I don't know what is going on with Dansco.
It is has been said here a few times in the past that Dansco prefers to spend its efforts on more profitable corporate customers than the consumer coin album market. They probably only make them when their workers are otherwise idle from bigger ticket orders.

Quote:
That doesn't indicate anything.
Perhaps. Maybe someone should do a wellness visit on their free time.

Regardless, the albums are still stamped Made in the USA so I will assume they are. That is, when they actually make them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I might send them a letter or call them and check if they are in business. I'm sure someone on the forum lives near the area. They might be able to visit and see if they are still in business.
Learn More...
United States
79271 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People have called them before. I have, it has been a while, but still I have. They are most definitely in business, just not "all-in" on the album business.
Learn More...
United States
79271 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I made this analysis in the past and I will repeat again...

Dansco probably feels burdened by the low margin coin album business (compared to their corporate jobs). They probably have no problem making them, they just do not want to maintain (update pages, new series, etc.), market, and distribute them.

That is fine.

License the name to Whitman and let them do all the boring stuff. Dansco just makes the albums for Whitman, who now has a premium album line to offer its distribution channel.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4531 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm sure someone on the forum lives near the area. They might be able to visit and see if they are still in business.

Sounds like a new thread and excellent project to recruit someone for a mission.

Your Mission: Go to The Dansco Company, 4313 W Jefferson Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90016. Survey the area. Locate the entrance. Locate an employee or supervisor.

Break the ice, tell them you are a big fan and have many of their products. Ask for a tour of the facility. Determine if the facility is viable and find out why they are not producing high volume albums. If they let you in, take pictures of the production area. Get free samples!

Also: Take notes. Report all your findings back to us. Don't travel there allow, bring a friend with you. It looks like a bad neighborhood!

If I lived nearby, I'd be there in a heart beat.
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Edited by USSID18
09/05/2018 8:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And find out why they haven't made any 8166 Kennedy half with proof albums - I was told they would be back in stores around first of AUGUST - well that sure didn't happen! If my memory is correct they still haven't delivered any 7123 Mercury dime albums in quite awhile also.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quote:
3. Dansco is made in he USA and Whitman is made in China.

Not entirely. I just recently bought The Ike and Kennedy albums, both were made and printed in USA, now the standard blank "coin album" says ying chow, not sure about blank pages but the thickness is less and color is a bit brighter blue. I used a lot of the blanks to design my own layouts and add to existing binders. Yes you can get up to eight pages in some binders, depends on the posts and screws provided. (If they don't work...Ace Hardware is the place... )
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sounds like a new thread and excellent project to recruit someone for a mission.

Your Mission: Go to The Dansco Company, 4313 W Jefferson Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90016. Survey the area. Locate the entrance. Locate an employee or supervisor.

Break the ice, tell them you are a big fan and have many of their produces. Ask for a tour of the facility. Determine if the facility is viable and find out why they are not producing high volume albums. If they let you in, take pictures of the production area. Get free samples!

Also: Take notes. Report all your findings back to us. Don't travel there allow, bring a friend with you. It looks like a bad neighborhood!

If I lived nearby, I'd be there in a heart beat.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
18736 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2018  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes you can get up to eight pages in some binders

I have 10 pages in my Lincoln Cent Albums.

Quote:

Not entirely. I just recently bought The Ike and Kennedy albums, both were made and printed in USA

That is odd. I have many, many Whitman Albums and all say made in China. I wonder if they are moving back here.
And another odd thing is if you look up Whitman's web site you would see they no longer list what was called US Mint Albums. The do still list Harris products though but that is normal since Harris now owns Whitman.
I've never met anyone that uses Harris brand stuff though.
just carl
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2018  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use Dansco, mainly for the slipcovers which keeps everything together standing up neatly on a shelf. You can pull out the album and the slipcover "saves" the spot it was in without everything leaning over, plus they are chemically treated to preserve coins. Only thing I don't like is that it seems if I want to buy a certain one, it's out of stock that month or the slipcover for that one is out of stock...
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
Pillar of the Community
United States
4531 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2018  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Only thing I don't like is that it seems if I want to buy a certain one, it's out of stock that month or the slipcover for that one is out of stock...

And that's why someone needs to go the Dansco, knock on the door, ask way and get a straight answer.

Learn More...
United States
79271 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2018  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Remember, if you are caught CCF will disavow your actions and this topic will self-destruct.

Quote:

Quote:
Not entirely. I just recently bought The Ike and Kennedy albums, both were made and printed in USA
That is odd. I have many, many Whitman Albums and all say made in China. I wonder if they are moving back here.
Maybe it was old stock.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4531 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2018  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Remember, if you are caught CCF will disavow your actions and this topic will self-destruct.

That's funny!

CCF should reward 500 free posting points to the person who gets caught and 200 points just to accept the challenge!

Learn More...
United States
79271 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18736 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2018  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Simple solution. Apply for a job there. That way you'ld get into the place, look around, talk to personal people and possibly get a job where you could get merchandise at a discount.
just carl
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05