Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need help identifying the year on a Walking Liberty Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
45 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2018  10:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add eternallogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm a young man new to coin collecting and I recently came across this Half Dollar at a flea market. As you can see the vendor assured me it was a 1921D but I would like to make sure, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11129 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2018  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm a young man new to coin collecting

The best advice I can honestly give you is to never buy key dates raw like that, and realize that being younger many dealers will try and take advantage of you
Canada
45 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2018  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eternallogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you basebal21 for the sound advice. Fortunately I got it in a cheap lot with several other coins, so it's not a huge loss regardless.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6032 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2018  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did some sleuthing and I have come to the conclusion that this has a good chance of being a 1921 Walking Liberty half.

The top layer in the sandwich is an enlarged view of the photo provided by the OP.

It shows that the last digit of the date is a 1.

It also appears that the third digit may be a 2 or 3.

The only dates when a Walker was issued with a 1 as the last digit were 1921 and 1941. There was no 1931 walker issued due to the depression.

The second layer of the sandwich pictured above shows a VG08 1921 walker. The third layer is am MS65 1941 walker.

Note that the 1 in the 1921 is high relative to the 2.

The 1 in the 1941 is low relative to the 4.

Looks like the 1 in the OP's coin is high relative to the third digit.

Although it is not conclusive, I believe that the OP's coin is more likely than not to be a key date 1921 walker.

Let me know if you have any issues with the analysis.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11129 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2018  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Fortunately I got it in a cheap lot with several other coins, so it's not a huge loss regardless.

That's actually a perfect example of what I was saying. If they were convinced they really had something valuable, why would they give it away like that?

Most likely as far as that dealers concerned he upsold something a bit and was happy to get some money
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2018  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hoxsie454 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a long term collector who has never sent a coin in for grading, I want to ask a question: would anyone here submit this coin for grading? Would a third party grading service even slab a coin with a questionable date?

EternalLogan may have got it at melt, it satisfies his current interest and it is a pretty enough coin to flash around amongst friends for discussion like he is doing here so its fun to do and that is a big part of collecting.
Learn More...
United States
13545 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2018  06:40 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You don't seem to be looking for opinions on grade, so I moved your post to the appropriate section for the proper attention.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9405 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2018  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't really matter ; in my book If you can't read date or mint mark on an very worn coin then it's for the junk silver bin .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Canada
45 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2018  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eternallogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the expert analysis numismatic student, that's exactly what I was looking for.
Should I send it to PCGS or NGC for grading in hopes that they will acknowledge the year?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30367 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2018  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not waste the money.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7239 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2018  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can anyone see a mint mark ?
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Learn More...
United States
63648 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14141 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2018  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF! It's pretty much dateless. It's not worth having it graded by a TPG, as it would cost way more than what the coin is worth. I would still save it, in your junk Silver pile.
Errers and Varietys.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1988 P LMC RDV-006, 1998 P LMC Wide AM, and 2000 P LMC Wide AM. http://goccf.com/t/327834 http://goccf.com/t/294303 http://goccf.com/t/312900
1973 D Lincoln Memorial cent With Recurring Die Subsidence Error Information. http://goccf.com/t/304624
Machine Doubling tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Canada
45 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2018  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eternallogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses, I probably won't send it in now. I was just wondering if it would be worth the gamble of them possibly putting the date on.
I'll keep the coin regardless and be more careful next time!
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cbatts29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that it has to be a 1941 just because they are more common, and you said it was cheep. If you sell it, I would put it as dateless. Its not defined enough.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
330 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the Liberty Walking half dollar, the Denver mint mark style changed significantly in mid-1934. If you can post a closeup of the mm, it will very likely be possible to rule out either the 1921 or 1941 date.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05