Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is There An Ofec Spread Sheet

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
510 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2018  2:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add moose59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am looking for an OFEC spreadsheet that is downloadable and fillable. Is there one on the site?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2018  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try One From Every Country Yahoo group.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
4208 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2018  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The CCF member Jays-Dad compiled such a list about a decade ago, he may still be around.

BTW, from what I read, the list contained over 1000.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3013 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2018  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to belong to the OFEC on Yahoo groups. I probably still do but I have not accessed my account in several years.

At the time, they only had a word document. I created a spreadsheet from that and posted it on the site, but I don't know that it was ever used by anyone. Their 2010 list had nearly 7000 entries, due to they way a "country", really a coin-issuing entity, was determined. Every change of government as they determined it, had its own entry, so for example in the 20th century "germany" had about 7 entries, plus all the states, and another 500 or so if you include each city that issued notgeld.
Edited by oriole
09/08/2018 4:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3345 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2018  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it's still in the Yahoo! group, last update is 2016 with some November 2017 updates

#2016 CHECKLIST (N=6680) 3-10-16.doc

-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3013 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2018  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just checked my account, and use has really dropped off this message group. I don't know why. Another of the groups there has almost died; maybe Yahoo groups is not used so much any more?
Anyway, the files are still there but that list is still in Word format.

However, you can convert it to a spreadsheet (one line per entry), but it may well need quite a bit of fiddling to convert it to the format you want.

If anyone wants that word document and the update, PM me and I can send it to you.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  02:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cornelius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for necroing this dead thread. I'm trying to get the OFEC list mentioned by the last poster - I tried PM-ing you, oriole, but I can't (since I'm a new member). I was wondering if anyone could PM me the Word Document or spreadsheet of the "One from every Coin" yahoo group, since that's essentially my mission: a coin from every govt change (a little further actually: one denomination of each coin; e.g. dollar + cent; 1/4 rupee + 1/2 rupee, etc - but that's only for the 19th-20th century; I also disdain any modern coins (anything after 1980/90), unless they're huge and very shiny! ).

anywho, I can't get the list from the group itself, although I put in a request to join. But who knows when that'll happen. I'm also making a list of Indian princely states at numista for anyone interested, but it's incredibly exhausting.

So if no one is able to PM me because I'm new,

edited by moderator.
See rules - email addresses not allowed in posts
Edited by Cornelius
12/09/2019 04:41 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2317 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  03:17 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a great resource (not just for OFEC) is, as you know, numista.com

their criteria for what constitutes a "country" changes from time to time, but it's a darn good start.

I adjusted my OFEC rules to reflect my own thoughts on the matter (for example, countries like Japan being allowed 2 entries, dynasty coinage and also modern/post WWII, coinage etc), and stopped at 300 about 2 years ago.

thanks for reviving the thread, it has re-invigorated my intertest!
Edited by Wade
12/09/2019 03:18 am
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  04:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cornelius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your response!

Yes, Numista is like amazing. They actually added an Indian princely state or two since I started the thread I linked, so they're updating all the time. I've also checked Krause, and the funny thing is when it came to the Indian Princely States, Krause had more of them missing vs Numista than the other way around lol.

But yeah, I think a lot of the princely states in the list of my post don't have any coins available that I know of (Google search knowledge only lol). Sadly, it makes me feel a little better because I know if there were coins from every one of the 584+ states, I'd never be able to get them all, and I feel in this kind of category (OFEC) it's all or nothing lol.

I personally draw the line for regime changes at around the Industrial Revolution unless it was something pretty important (such as the US pre-Federal dollar). I mean, I'm not gonna be looking for a coin minted by some warlord in 9th century Kazakhstan that took over another warlord's lands, though it'd be cool if I stumbled upon one!
Edited by Cornelius
12/09/2019 04:11 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16305 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  05:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be good to have a quick spread sheet reference for a World OFEC collection.

I only have about 1,000 or so pieces (mainly in silver, with some nice grade bronze and and a few gold coins), in my World OFEC collection, and therefore just use my four centuries of Krause catalogs to reference them with.

The problem for me is what an OFEC collection really means:-
OFE C**

C**
1. Country
2. Century
3. Culture

I collect in all three areas.
A spread sheet would not work quite so well for me.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5108 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have a look here, it might help you:
http://goccf.com/t/326313
A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cornelius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi guys!

I have a main album for current countries: 200 coins (196+4 former: Czechoslovakia, UAR, USSR, and Yugoslavia). So far I have about 60. The only situation there is to find a coin I really like: checking Numista and then cross-referencing with Krause because I like the bigger coins (not compensating for anything lol! I just like the feel of a bigger piece of metal, which is more legible too).

I'm interested in your OFEC, sel, if you can link it whenever you have it set up.

And thanks, Nevol. That thread gave me some ideas. I was originally gonna have some info for my coins, something like this:

The only thing I have to figure out is how to put the coin, since some/most of those slips are gonna have 2 coins. I guess I'd turn the paper with info the other way and put the coin on top, but then you'd have to take it out of the album space to see it, so idk lol.

My current countries are packaged the way the above poster did, but I want someone to be able to take the coin out and play with it or w/e

But I'm still interested if anyone has the 7500 coin checklist from the Yahoogroups, if they could link it. If not, should I get accepted by that group, I'll post it.
Edited by Cornelius
12/09/2019 06:56 am
Learn More...
United States
80812 Posts
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cornelius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you jbuck!

I eagerly followed a thread of yours from a few years ago where people were showing a coin for every year and it went all the way to 1491! Wow, I didn't think one could get that far back so specifically!

So, good news guys, for whoever might be interested. The Yahoo group for OFEC accepted me overnight, quite quicker than I expected. I got their checklist among other things, though it's strange that their 2012 one has 7568 entries, which they subtitle as "obsolete", and their 2016 one (their latest) has 6600. I personally don't need an excel checklist from their word doc, but anyone who's interested in their OFEC files (they have various checklists and other such things), and doesn't have as much luck in joining as me, can look them up on my Google Drive here: OFEC Checklists Enjoy!

Meanwhile, here's my favorite coin so far. Falkland Islands 50 pence:

Edited by Cornelius
12/09/2019 5:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3345 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note that many groups are moving to groups.io since Yahoo has sunsetted everything except email (re)distribution from next week. We received a message a day or two back that the import of former Yahoo! data was largely successful (IIRC, some 20+ messages out of 20K didn't import).
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3013 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Cornelius, @rggoodie PM me asking to respond to this thread. What would you like me to do?

I think that since you got the file, you don't need mine.
Edited by oriole
12/10/2019 5:14 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05