Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 canadian penny. Could this be a wrong planchet

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
21 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  3:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sunshine0274 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I found a 1999 Canadian penny and it looks odd. It is curved and light. Bigger than a normal penny and different color. Could this be a wrong plank? What would something like this be worth? Thank you all in advance

Edited by Sunshine0274
09/11/2018 3:52 pm
Learn More...
United States
60286 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.

Uploading Photos

Free Image Optimizer
Canada
21 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sunshine0274 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you :)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4029 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone has found a way to convex shape this coin with out destroying the strike, quite talented, probably if you weigh this coin it would be correct for a 1999 penny.
Learn More...
Canada
7969 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Firstly - weigh the coin. My bet is that is has the normal weight of a 1-cent coin, or slightly lighter.

This is what is called a "Texas Penny". A Texas Penny gets the name from the "everything's bigger in Texas" saying... When you hammer a copper-plated between two pieces of leather, it flattens, expands and splits off the copper plating with surprising accuracy. They're tough on collectors who haven't seen them before, because they're so accurate. After all, they started their life as real coins...

You see these quite often with US 1 cent coins...

Lastly - to CCF!!
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28211 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct explanation, imo.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1400 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sunshine0274 get your coin weighed. copper plated zinc 1999 penny. should weigh 2.25 grams. if your penny weighs more. I know of a possible match for another denomation. it would be quit and error. if it is that blank. that was produced for another coin. weigh will tell if it is that blank. if you dont have scales. go to the post office. they have calibrated scales. they usually dont wont mind weighing small objects.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1400 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sunshine0274 the flakes of metal. that are still on the reverse. what ever you do dont touch those specks. your coin was slowly heated. that is why it is concaved. see the copper plating is very thin. when the metal was heated over an open flame. once the metal starts to move. it will run off quite easly. hope this helps. but one can see. the 2 pennies dont match in size. get the weigh for sure.
Learn More...
Canada
7969 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
your coin was slowly heated.

This coin was not heated to the point of melting away the copper...

Melting point of copper is 1,085 C
Melting point of zinc is 419.5 C

The fact that the copper is gone and zinc remains negates that possibility. See my comment above regarding "Texas Penny".
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12032 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In other words, just a damaged coin.
Errers and Varietys
Canada
21 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sunshine0274 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thank you all for your help on this one. Once I get home from work I will weigh it for sure. Will give you an update this evening #128522;
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1400 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP-Ottawa thank you that crazy how that works. see if his zinc plank is the right weight. I see another metal possibly there. if it has the right weigh. in 1999 the Royal Canadian Mint produced so many of these blanks for a foreign country. when he posts the weight. this will verify. if it might be one of those blanks. the specks on the reverse would help to confirm this possibility. again thank SPP-Ottawa. if I had not watched this. I could not imagine this working so well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4645 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rockey-
There is no way that can be a wrong planchet.
If it is larger, then how did it fit in the collar of the 1 cent.
Also how would the devices increase in size.

I agree with SPP with it being a Texas Penny or something similar.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1400 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes JimmyD I agree.but how would this blank be larger in diameter. I know jimmy you know your coins. as does SPP ottawa and alot more of the other members as well. myself I just like to learn. this coin is a good question. because it leads one to thinking. how would this be possible.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4645 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rocky-
The planchet started out the right size, but as SPP explained earlier,
the diameter was increased by being hammered.
This is not uncommon with US Cents. If I can find some photos,
I will post them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4645 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found this photo of a "Texas Penny"
Note how the diameter has increased to the size of a Nickle and is missing the copper
plating which has fallen off due to the pounding and stretching of the coin.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05