Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What pennies should I keep when crh?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  7:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Divnira1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm not interested in keeping pre-82 pennies for their copper, or filling up an album right now.

Wheat Pennies are a definite
I also like to keep 2009 pennies.

Anything else I should be looking for?

Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Saving Post-82 stinkin zinkins is like saving last years carved pumpkin.

Well not a very good mind picture but fist off, Why? There have been BILLIONS, get that, Billions made and countless rolls and bags put up in proper storage. The common stinkin zinkin has no metallic value, will deteriorate quickly if the least bit damaged. So to save one "just because" isn't wise.
Now, what about varieties. Have you considered those? Doubled Dies and Repunched mintmarks (on some) would be a legitimate reason to hoard some, at least until you learn what to look for, which variety may be worth more, or just the satisfaction of finding them(the hunt). The 2009's that you get out of circulation will in 20 years if they are still in one piece and haven't rotted away, will be worth 1 cent(unless our currency is devalued). A common circulated coin doesn't increase in value. For the 2009's, MANY (THOUSANDS) have been put in storage for the future markets, these are mint state, a circulation coin is not. The same goes for any of the others, unless you look for the varieties. I save NO CRH stinkin zinkins anymore, only OBW rolls in tubes now, all MS60+ coins now.

Now I do make my own cheat sheet of what varieties to look for, if you go that way.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9153 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would put away High Mint State Lincolns , and any error or varieties that you find .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinBuffalo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Crazyb0. I started out saving a variety of things I now find useless and a waste of time, including the 2009s. Get familiar with a list of popular doubled dies and RPMs and try to look for those. This link is a good start, but there's many more. And aside from the obvious Wheats, I save any interesting foreign coins. As I live close to Canada I get a fair amount of their coins. I like to save the ones from before 1965 and the 1967 Centennial because I like the designs.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17097 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I suggest you save any Pennies dated prior to 1793. Also, keep all the ones dated 1856 or 1922S. Mostly watch for a 1943 Copper one. Other than those, just try to collect an entire Lincoln Cent set.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
suggest you save any Pennies dated prior to 1793. Also, keep all the ones dated 1856 or 1922S. Mostly watch for a 1943 Copper one. Other than those, just try to collect an entire Lincoln Cent set.
Lincoln cents - 3 holes / Jefferson nickels - Done / Roosevelt dimes - Done / Washington quarters - 24 holes /
Kennedy halves - 10 Holes / Buffalo nickels - 10 Holes
Work in progress - Barber/SLQ combined / Indian Head cents / 7070

Learn More...
United States
62543 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not interested in keeping pre-82 pennies for their copper...
However, if you have space and can afford them, there is really no reason not to keep them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1081 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add babysitr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with jbuck, keeping the coppers forces me to look through my change,and its fun...profitable? likely not
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15270 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well not a very good mind picture but fist off, Why? There have been BILLIONS, get that, Billions made and countless rolls and bags put up in proper storage. The common stinkin zinkin has no metallic value, will deteriorate quickly if the least bit damaged.

I could not disagree more. The vast majority of post-1982 cents were put into circulation. Billions have been lost to attrition, out of the billions left, most are below MS-63 or have surface/plating issues, bad strikes from over-used dies and black spots. Even most mint set coins are subpar.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15270 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anything else I should be looking for?

Lots...but keep an eye out for MS-65 and up coins. I suggest starting a roll set. Buy some tubes and save by issue any high quality coins you find.....especially the post 1982 coins. It's getting harder and harder to find high quality zincs.

Been working on this set for years:

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However, if you have space and can afford them, there is really no reason not to keep them.

Personally, I limit myself to Pre-70's copper. Mostly because I love high relief Lincolns as compared to what we have now. It is also something more to look for. Keeps things exciting.

That being said... IF copper value does ever go up. I might also make a few bucks.
Lincoln cents - 3 holes / Jefferson nickels - Done / Roosevelt dimes - Done / Washington quarters - 24 holes /
Kennedy halves - 10 Holes / Buffalo nickels - 10 Holes
Work in progress - Barber/SLQ combined / Indian Head cents / 7070

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9153 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I suggest you save any Pennies dated prior to 1793. Also, keep all the ones dated 1856 or 1922S. Mostly watch for a 1943 Copper one. Other

Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2184 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  09:19 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally can't get myself to spend 1.8 cents worth of copper as a cent. So I hold them. I don't even CRH cents. I just pull the coppers out of change.
Learn More...
United States
62543 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I personally can't get myself to spend 1.8 cents worth of copper as a cent. So I hold them. I don't even CRH cents. I just pull the coppers out of change.
Pretty much me the last twenty years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
750 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2018  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anything pre-82 for LWC is ok to keep, also look for double dies...
DO NOT EVER discard the following:
1909S VDB
1909S
1914D
1922 plain
1931S
Have you gotten your half dollar fix today?

$40 CRH - 2x 35% 5c, 1x 40% 50c
Pillar of the Community
United States
1472 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2018  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't there a sticky on the cents to look out for? Also if you do any BPH (Bill Pack Hunting) keep the star notes.

KK
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05